United Airlines to charge obese for two seats

tartempion

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was stuck in the middle seat next to such a large person...not fun! Lucky it was a short (2 hr) flight.

Yes, the airline can pre-screen like American already does with the luggage at many airports. Right before you get in the line to check in at the counter, they weigh all your luggage. If overweight, they flag it and you pay the excess charge at the counter.

Just as easy, they can put the passengers on the scale and total the passenger and luggage weight, pay any excess at the counter.

That is what I was getting at, some people weigh a lot but are not fat. other people may be fat, and take up too much of another person's chair, but their weight isn't off the charts (unless you go height to weight proportion).

Example, I have a friend, he is 6'4" and weighs about 270pounds, lean and mean, not fat. A coworker is about 5' and weights about 170, a total blob...she does take up 2 coach seats. Hence, the combined weight deal would not allow for someone who is just a blob taking up 2 seats.

OK, so maybe a combination: certain weight max AND must be able to pass between 2 metal poles, set about a seat width apart, without touching them. Touching either pole would flash a light, notifying the attendant and deliver a painful shock to you, alerting you that it's time to do something about your fat ass.

That is what I was getting at' date=' some people weigh a lot but are not fat. other people may be fat, and take up too much of another person's chair, but their weight isn't off the charts (unless you go height to weight proportion).

Example, I have a friend, he is 6'4" and weighs about 270pounds, lean and mean, not fat. A coworker is about 5' and weights about 170, a total blob...she does take up 2 coach seats. Hence, the combined weight deal would not allow for someone who is just a blob taking up 2 seats.[/quote']

OK, so maybe a combination: certain weight max AND must be able to pass between 2 metal poles, set about a seat width apart, without touching them. Touching either pole would flash a light, notifying the attendant and deliver a painful shock to you, alerting you that it's time to do something about your fat ass.

Lets be serious here. How much MORE bullshit are you really willing to put up with when you fly? Have the flight attendant or gate agent make the call, if the passenger is spilling into the next seat and/or needs one than 1 seat bealt extender, then they get billed. Of course I would argue if you are buying 2 seats, than you get to bring twice as much luggage.

On a separate/related note, it seems many here harbor hatred for fat/obese people (which is probably over 1/2 the board). I can times when it is really a nuisance, but other wise, ALL people have annoying habits be it eating too much, and thus others have to see you, or have you hog 1/2 your space...or drinkers who stink, of booze and annoy others with their bad behavior, or smokers who also stink of cigarettes, and we all have to smell them etc...

Carbon emissions fuelled by high rates of obesity

High rates of obesity are adding to climate crisis, says a new study

High rates of obesity are adding to climate crisis, says a new study. Photograph: PA

High rates of obesity in richer countries cause up to 1bn extra tonnes of greenhouse gas emissions every year, compared with countries with leaner populations, according to a study that assesses the additional food and fuel requirements of the overweight. The finding is particularly worrying, scientists say, because obesity is on the rise in many rich nations.

"Population fatness has an environmental impact," said Phil Edwards, from the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine. "We're all being told to stay fit and keep our weight down because it's good for our health. The important thing is that staying slim is good for your health and for the health of the planet."

The study, carried out by Edwards and Ian Roberts, is published today in the International Journal of Epidemiology.

In their model, the researchers compared a population of 1 billion lean people, with weight distributions equivalent to a country such as Vietnam, with 1 billion people from richer countries, such as the US, where about 40% of the population is classified obese.

The fatter population needed 19% more food energy for its energy requirements, they found. They also factored in greater car use by the overweight. "The heavier our bodies become the harder it is to move about in them and the more dependent we become on cars," they wrote.

The greenhouse gas emissions from food production and car travel for the fatter billion people were estimated at between 0.4bn and 1bn extra tonnes a year. That is a significant amount in comparison with the world's total emissions of 27bn tonnes in 2004.

Last September the world's leading authority on climate change suggested the people should eat less meat, because meat production causes 20% of global emissions. Rajendra Pachauri, chairman of the UN Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, said consumers should begin with one meat-free day a week.

This study has more flaws than fact. Face it, developed countries have more cars, more industry, more people etc than many/most "under developed" countries. Seems logical we'd pollute more. More food and people aside.

Economy class sucks pretty much on all airlines. The seats really are not big enough for most average sized people to begin with, and I'm 6 ft. 180 pounds.

The airlines, especially the US airlines, are not doing me any favors no matter what the fuck they say about their service or seat comfort.

The US airlines are better at talking about how wonderful they are, than saying they really do suck ;), as far as their customer services go. [color:purple][/color]

The US airlines have a problem with being truthful. The airlines don't want high speed rail to succeed in the US, as people will have an alternative to their fantastic crappy service :grinyes:

I am impressed with the pilots,mechanics and people working behind the scenes being able to launch thousands of flights everyday, with such an extremely low accident rate, that part the US airlines got right.

Archived