Hiroshima

It is not hard water but heavy weater.

No they didn't complete at all:

- Heavy water factory was blown up by the GB (Norwegian commandos in fact) in 1943 and some subsequent raids and bombings finished the job.

(operations, freshman, grous, gunnerside)

- Germany tried to use a different approach to produce the bomb

- In the end, they were still a very long way from completing a successful bomb, this is quite logical as producing a bomb required from the USA a huge economic, industrial and scientific effort which Nazi Germany couldn't afford in 1944-1945.

The fiction about multiple transports between Germany and Japan:

I8 was the Japanese submarine which achieved to complete the voyage in 1943.

A few other Japanese/German subs tried to do the trip but were sunk before completing it. (example: I-30)

I-8 was bringing back to Japan some much needed technology but no 'atomic bomb' or related technology, especially in 1943.

In 1943: A German Uboot, U-511, also managed to reach Japan, was carrying the German ambassador, scientists and engineers, later served in the Imperial navy.

U-234: On 25 March, 1945, with the Reich agonizing, this submarine was tasked with carrying some uranium, scientists, high ranking officers, jets, technology.

The uranium was not military grade.

The sub learned about Germany's capitulation and surrendered, it arrived at Portsmouth Naval Shipyard (Maine state)

This is certainly the Uboot which started the 'fiction' about the atomic bomb being carried to Japan.

Uranium was uranium oxide and if someone knows exactly its composition it was the US authorities which kept it secret.

U-864: Attempted the travel to Japan but as sunk near the coast of Norway.

It was sometimes said it carried uranium oxyde but recent researches found no traces of it in the wreck.

Far more dangerous for the environment are the 1.500 tons of mercury it carried to Japan.

So all is fiction:

. Germany or Japan never completed any atomic bomb and were never near doing it

. One German and one Japanese subs completed the tranns-oceanic travel without being sunk and they didn't carry 'atomic technology'

By the way, Japanese submarine I8 is most famous for the war crimes its crew commited.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I-52 on a Yanagi mission was sunk in 1944.

It was carrying a cargo of gold as payment for the technology.

There were reports that 800 kg of uranium oxide were awaiting the sub's arrival, it has been speculated that it could have been used to create a radiological weapon. (which is of course not an atomic bomb )

All in all, 6 submarines are known to have attempted the trans-continental travel (5 Japanese, 1 German) with formal orders to do so, with a possible two more Germans near the end of the Reich.

Wow. Thanks for clearing that up. It's nice to learn from a learned mind.

btw: one of the tv shows i enjoy watching is Europe's Secret Armies. What I really enjoy about it is that they don't simply make claims or state facts. They show interview after interview of people who were actually there. People looking straight into the camera, and many through a translator, describing how neighbor turned on neighbor, or administrators were intimidated into signing forms stating who were jews in their neighborhood, etc...chilling. I'm glad these horrors have been so well documented, as so many people would not be able to accept it otherwise.

Me thinks that all the world leaders should make a visit to the Peace Museum to see the results of an A-bomb...maybe some of these nut balls would step back from producing nuke bombs...like Iran? N. Korea, etc...

Nah...they should make a visit to North Korea to see the results of an A-bomb.

HH

Me thinks that all the world leaders should make a visit to the Peace Museum to see the results of an A-bomb...maybe some of these nut balls would step back from producing nuke bombs...like Iran? N. Korea' date=' etc... [/quote']

Nah...they should make a visit to North Korea to see the results of an A-bomb.

HH

:applause: well, you never know. With the tension between Israel and Iran :dunno:

There's a story of the Thais being very impressed when the USAAF bombed a Japanese barracks in Bangkok without damaging the hospital next to it. What the Thais didn't learn until after the war was that the Air Farce was in fact aiming at a bridge some distance away.

:)

Apparently, it is. One of the Free Thai members wrote about it. Gerald Sparrow, a Brit interned during WWII, wrote about his experiences in the camp at Thammasat University. He kept tabs on how many bombs fell on Thammasat and how many times the internee camp was strafed by USAAF and RAF planes aiming for the Thonburi train station across the river. (The station was the beginning of the railway to Kanchanaburi. The prisoners from Singapore were brought north by train to Hua Lamphong, then marched to Tha Chang landing NW of the Grand Palace. Then they were ferried to the train station to head to work on the "death railway".)

Archived