New ATM fees -- who's charging them?

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can anyone confirm the reports that while some banks are charging this new fee and asking your permission; other banks are not asking at all (giving you the impression that there is no fee) but are STILL charging the 150bt anyway without your permission.

Several people in one of the Bangok Post's message threads on the topic are reporting this.

Better check your bank statments!

-=/NN

ninja, good question.

given TIT & we're talking about banks we can't really be surprised if it was true can we?

so possibly kbank, krungsri & UOB etc may well be charging without warning or even acknowledgment on the receipt (if available), but they really would need to include the 150bt in the total amount withdrawn otherwise I'll be a total hardcore scam that atm & actual balances & transaction amounts would differ :rolleyes: .

so on gut feel I'd say no :)

Just did a test with my card in another EU country today.

Got 18euros commission to get some cash at the ATM.

(only was able to retrieve 600 euros)

So if applied to Thailand: I want to get 20K bht

My own foreign bank fee: Around 700 Bht

+ 150 Bht Thai bank fee, add to this the disadvantageous exchange rate.

Total = 850 Bht I pay in fees for only 20K Bht.

Damn the banks, luckily I can use my Thai debit cards but what for the tourists who don't have Thai bank accounts.

Not sure.

I think the people on this board predominantly bring big amounts of cash but from what I saw I believe most tourists bring a small amount of cash then use the ATM.

TC don't seem very popular with some European countries and many people seem reluctant to carry big amounts of cash as well as using their CC for buying goods in a foreign country.

Seeing the numerous articles, warnings, Tv emissions about CC scams as well as robberies everywhere I believe most tourists would use their debit/credit cards.

I may be wrong, anyone can confirm?

Archived