New ATM fees -- who's charging them?

Bank of Ayutthaya now charging 150 baht fee.

UOB I'm told will start to charge 150 baht in August. No fee at the moment.

The only bank that says they won't charge a fee is Aeon (Japanese Bank).

Pattaya Aeon ATM locations:

1 Lotus South Pattaya 2 nd Floor Lotus South Pattaya

2 Home work Pattaya 1 st Fl. Home work Pattaya

3 Carrefour Pattaya Klang 2 nd Fl Carrefour Pattaya Klang

BTW for Aussies, the Wizard Clear Advantage Mastercard is brilliant... absolutely no fees, and a good exchange rate. They claim to absorb all costs :thumbup:

... but I think they have been taken over, so things may change :(

:beer:

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Aussie bank may be like mine in that they'll put a reverse ATM fee credit into your account. I love it.

The only thing that would make it better is if my bank would send these Thai fuckers a bill with interest for the same fee that they credited into my account.

For what it's worth, I was as surprised as everyone else at the new, additional ATM charges. Since my bank in the US, Citibank, already charges a 3% "foreign transaction fee" I've tried to avoid ATM withdrawls. For the past year we've been using wire transfers whenever it's been necessary to send $ to Thailand and never less than $3000 per transfer, the fee's just too high. around $30, but at that amount I'm paying 1%.

So, when my wife and I were just in Phuket and I saw the new 150B charge when I tried to use my ATM card, we decided to use her local ATM card instead. When we returned to Bangkok I used my Citibank ATM card at the Citibank branch on Sathorn Road and was not charged any fee. I was actually a little surprised since Citibank USA is a separate banking institution from Citibank Thailand, but anyway...The exchange rate on the street yesterday was 33.69 B to $ for 50&100's and the rate I got at the Citibank ATM was 33.09, plus 3% deducted from my account, which brings the actual rate down to 32.13 B. Guess I can live with it, I have no choice.

Just brings up the point that if you have an Citibank, HSBC or other foreign ATM banking card with an office here you might want to try withdrawing funds there even if a little inconvenient you might be able to avoid the 150 B surcharge. Of course, I guess, you'd have to spend some time around the Silom / Sathorn area.

I have a USA Citibank account that I draw on also. I was getting ready to head up to Citibank here in BKK, so your info saved me a trip (thanks!).

I have said before, I use my Citibank card to draw out money at a UOB ATM and never was charged the 3% fee. Somewhere in this thread someone said that UOB charged a $0.00 fee but August 11, they will start to charge 100 Baht?

Try a UOB ATM with your Citibank card.

cavanami,

it's still NOT the individual bank/atm that determines the exchange rate so any bank goes - it's the atm network such as visa/mc/plus/cirrus per currency - OK? ;)

except in the case of BoA as mentioned who give the option of their 'inflated rate' just like some merchants (using BoA for CC processing), but that option can be refused...

by the way on citibank atm's @ sathorn - neat feature (if using citi cards only I guess) is that the exchange rate offered can be seen (or calculated from the home currency amount shown) before confirming a transaction/withdrawal which if doing multiple/max amount (30k) can be important ;)

cavanami,

it's still NOT the individual bank/atm that determines the exchange rate so any bank goes - it's the atm network such as visa/mc/plus/cirrus per currency - OK? ;)

except in the case of BoA as mentioned who give the option of their 'inflated rate' just like some merchants (using BoA for CC processing), but that option can be refused...

Question I have...when using my Citibank card to pull money from my Citibank savings account, is visa/mc/plus/cirrus involved in the transaction or is it, in this case, UOB <> Citibank, only? Not sure...hmmmm...

Archived