New ATM fees -- who's charging them?

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Did you wire over in your home currency? I thought the exchange rates given by most thai banks was pretty decent... well anything would be better than my domestic bank.

I think you should look into moneybookers and let us know how good it works.

I wired money over from Washington Mutual Bank, which was a free xfer on my end, only to get a shit exchange rate as they went thru Bangkok Bank which fuck me on the exchange rate and then the receiving bank in Thailand charged a "receiving fee", so all in all a bad deal...but a certain UK shit head who knows it all doesn't know fuck about this...and yes, I am pissed at Mr. Know-it-all, strikke three...your out!

I tried UOB many times the last days

at Nana BTS, Emporium BTS, and Pacific Place

yes, they do charge a fee, but it is quite reasonable, just 0.00 Baht...I can afford this (actually you get a printed receipt which states "fee charge: 0.00 Baht")

When I checked my account it turned out they lie: there was really no fee at all

There are two different ones that I have used in the last week and neither charged a fee. One is inside the Phrom Phong BTS station. If you come down the escalators from the Emporium, turn left.

The other is down on Sukhumvit right outside the Phrom Phong BTS station. Take exit #4 out of the BTS station and head away from Emporium. Cross the next sidestreet and it's pretty much right there.

Yesterday I was out and about and not conveniently close to a UOB machine so I bit the bullet and pulsed out of a Bangkok Bank ATM. Yes, they still had the 150 baht fee in place.

However, today I checked my bank account online to see what kind of exchange rate I was getting raped with on the deal. Funny enough, instead of a debit for the ATM fee there was something called a "Reverse ATM Fee" in the credit column. In other words, my bank in all their kindness decided to PAY ME BACK FOR THE FEE!!!

Talk about falling out of my chair when I saw that. The exchange rate on the reverse ATM fee was 0.5% less than the officially published rate. On 150 baht that works out to less than 1 baht. Fuck going way out of my way just to hit a UOB machine.

I don't know how many people have a setup like this with their bank. I got a caveat attached to my account that the bank would pay back any ATM fees because I travel / out of local network so much (i.e. 100% of the time). Still, I didn't think they would automatically do it. I figured I would have to collect the slips from the ATM showing the fee then send those in to the bank to get reimbursed.

Must admit, I'm pretty darn happy with my bank. They kick ass. :yay:

Archived