Human trafficking

You started out with a reasonable post that I agreed with (and which I have always considered

obvious--namely that "free choice" is a shaky

concept in very poor countries/regions, and

"choices" are often among very BAD alternatives)....and then after sodom's post,

you do a reversal, and pretty much abandon your original correct opinion. Are you trying to make sodom happy? I guess its good to agree with everyone. I've never

agreed with, what i'll call the sodom (abbreviating here)/old hippo school of thought...i.e., that all the bargirls are just "lazy bitches" who could easily be doing some other job that would give them enough money to live on (like, selling t-thirts on sukumvit?).

I doubt that most are physically "forced" into it (although i'm sure that happens sometimes, and i'm sure it happens alot more in other countries), but thats not what i'm talking about. I know that SOME bargirls might be "just lazy" and could get other decent jobs that are above bare-subsistance level, but thats not true for the majority.

Yeah, i'm sure the thousands of girls with no education sitting all day and night in pattaya

beer bars waiting for customers could all be gainfully employed if they werent so damn lazy!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just an add-on...

Whilst the BGs might be doing it by choice and are free to come and go as they please, human trafficking is widespread in Thailand...

The farang centric scene is public and open, but even there, agents for the "organisations" that conduct this vile, repugnant trade scurry around seeking the naive....

Koow (whoever you really are), you're so full of it.

Are you crying about the poor kid in inner city USA who is working at McDs cuz that's all there is? Nevermind that he's an all A student in advanced placement courses. Are you applauding him because he refuses to jack cars or sell crack? Or are you looking at the guys who do the bad shit and say "typical for their kind..." and do nothing to help the situation (fuck funding public education and damn those welfare people stealing your money, and all that)?

It is the exact same thing (save the Xtian bullshit guilt about sex, that is). They make a choice. Fuck, I've made that choice.

So, in a nutshell, if the gals on Cowboy (for example) are "trafficked", then so is the kid in inner city USA who works a job for $5.15 minimum wage. What are you doing about them, since they are so much closer to home and *directly* affect your life?

Cheers,

SD -- knew lots of all-A car thieves and drug dealers back in the 'hood...

So, in a nutshell, if the gals on Cowboy (for example) are "trafficked", then so is the kid in inner city USA who works a job for $5.15 minimum wage. What are you doing about them, since they are so much closer to home and *directly* affect your life?

Cheers,

SD -- knew lots of all-A car thieves and drug dealers back in the 'hood...

That's weak.

Your "philosophy", basically that most things (job opportunities in this case) comes down to (or can be reduced to) individual personalities and individual choices, AS OPPOSED to being part of a layered social structure (sometimes called the "opportunity structure" of a given location/region/country) is a pretty typical blue-collar, low-education perspective on sociological issues.

One more thing. Physical appearance is probably much more important in obtaining "better" jobs in Tland, vs. most other countries....and it's not just the low education and poverty background of most bargirls that hinders their employment opportunities AND and in finding a husband. It's also just simply their LOOKS.....so they end up in great jobs getting "employed" (rented out) by sex tourists/residents. I can't imagine having sex with someone that i find really unattractive, so i don't know how some of the girls do it. In sum, some bargirls do have other good choices but prefer to just be prostit...s, but my guess is that the majority don't.

p.s. Yeah!!! I believe in CHOICE....All sex tourists/residents can choose to get a real (attractive) girlfriend, and not be so lazy just paying for "lazy bargirls". But if that happened, then 99% of the sex forums on the internet would go away, because they are all about 99% discussions of COST OF SEX topics (how much did she ask for...whats the most/least you ever paid...how much did you pay her.......etc. etc. etc. In some of the internet sex tourist forums, the holy grail is getting the "girl friend experience", even in a 10 minute massage parlor transaction. How many times have I seen (for example, "international sex guide", i think):

"yeah, i bargained for about 10 minutes on the cost, went up to the shorttime room, and it was great...30 minutes of sex...great GIRL FRIEND EXPERIENCE. The GFE actually means: paying someone to help you pretend you're not really paying her. But thats another topic.

You started out with a reasonable post that I agreed with (and which I have always considered

obvious--namely that "free choice" is a shaky

concept in very poor countries/regions, and

"choices" are often among very BAD alternatives)....and then after sodom's post,

you do a reversal, and pretty much abandon your original correct opinion. Are you trying to make sodom happy? I guess its good to agree with everyone. I've never

agreed with, what i'll call the sodom (abbreviating here)/old hippo school of thought...i.e., that all the bargirls are just "lazy bitches" who could easily be doing some other job that would give them enough money to live on (like, selling t-thirts on sukumvit?).

I doubt that most are physically "forced" into it (although i'm sure that happens sometimes, and i'm sure it happens alot more in other countries), but thats not what i'm talking about. I know that SOME bargirls might be "just lazy" and could get other decent jobs that are above bare-subsistance level, but thats not true for the majority.

Yeah, i'm sure the thousands of girls with no education sitting all day and night in pattaya

beer bars waiting for customers could all be gainfully employed if they werent so damn lazy!

If a girl (or man) wants a job outside the sex trade, either farang or Thai, there are plenty to be had, even today. Now the job would not pay has much as a working in a bar on Suk, but nevertheless, for every single bar girl on Suk, there are probably at least a thousand others of the same socioeconomic class that are working in factories, construction sites, hotels, etc that have nothing to do with the sex trade. There are some 22 million Thais working in non-agriculture jobs (and they are not selling T-shirts on Suk), the bar girls in Bangkok and Pattaya are insignificant percentage of that.

TH

Blue collar attitide? Good. That's me, so it fits. Thank you very much.

But let's look at this again. It seems to be really all about your hang-ups about sex, innit?

Because you have two kids, the ghetto kid from the States and the farm girl from Issan, equally disadvantaged (maybe differently, but equally), and you whinge about the one who's choice *you* find distasteful.

FWIW, I find discussion of how little to pay and guys who brag about paying too little distasteful too. But that's not the point here is it.

And I have heard many a girl turn down guys. They do not have to sleep with guys they do not want to. Back to that bitch of a word again, choice. Which, going back to the subject of this post, makes them not pressured nor trafficked.

Cheers,

SD

PS -- Do you *really* think that jobs & promotions are not awarded in some way on the basis of looks in the West??? There are a good many studies to prove you wrong there.

Archived