Coming to Bangkok in June - First time

dave32

I picked up a brochure for a new guest house called The Mile High Club. it doesn't have a website but there's some info on it here: http://www.gumtree.com/london/18/36323318.html

There's a brochure for it on the website which is hard to read, but the facilities are:

Aircon

Ceiling Fan

Private bathroom

Hot/cold shower

Fridge

Satelite TV

Safe

Telephone

Laundry service

Hi Speed Wi-Fi in the room

AVIATOR'S BAR,

Cheap beer, other drinks and light snacks.

I've never actually seen this place, but it looks like a really good deal considering the location. At present they're offering a promotional room rate of 600 baht a night for single, 750 for double.

Does anybody know anything about this place?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never heard of it, but you'd could always try it for a few days. Then if you don't like it, head somewhere else.

I imagine there are a fair number of promotions going on now, since the world's economy is farked and timid folks also were frightened off by the foreign media's exaggerating the political situation during the Songkran "riots".

Suk 28 is a ways from the nightlife, but you can get there cheaply and quickly via the Skytrain.

I would look for a in Soi below Soi 23 (which leads to Soi Cowboy) like the Swiss Lodge. With this you are in the midst of the day and night action and you don't have to walk too far to either Nana Plaza and Soi Cowboy and you'll have a lot of restaurants, shops, internet cafes, e.g. around.

Also make sure that the hotel is guest friendly (the Tai Pan hotel next to Soi Cowboy is not)

Budget is roughly 4k (dollars) to last 19/20 days.

I'm not quite sure how to plan this out moneywise. How much I'll need for spending money per day, and I want to keep lodging reasonable without staying in a shanty. Clean room, internet access, and close proximity to the action is what I'm looking for - walking distance (?) - for the lowest rates. Or something like that.

You can get internet access at a internet cafe. Do you really need it in your hotel room?

So you have about 7000 baht/day for expenses. Here is my break down of daily expenses.

Food 1000

Transport 300

Nightlife 3500

Laundry 200

That leaves 2000 baht for a hotel. Pattaya is cheaper so you could do the sites in Bangkok for a week and then go to Pattaya to stretch your baht. :twocents:

>Want to check out the what the city has to offer, and appreciated the thread on traveling alone on Sukhumvit. The trip won't be focused on the red-light areas but I certainly want to see them. Grateful for any input re: places to go, things to keep in mind.<

Haha, a newbie with noble intentions. It was also my intention 9 years ago on my first visit, to do temples, beaches and shopping, not really focused on red light districts. If you're serious about that, leave the RLD until your last few days, otherwise you may find your focus changes after you've been there.

I remember meeting a young English doctor on his first day in BKK. I met him in the Italian restaurant corner Suk and Soi 23. He wasn't going to do anything about red lights, "not interested", didn't realise SC was just around the corner.

After dinner, I let slip I was going to have a beer in a gogobar in the next street, he said "maybe I'll join you for just one drink, then go to sleep because of jetlag".

Within ten minutes of arriving at Suzie Wong, he was paying BF for one of the girls, and taking her to help with his jetlag.

Welcome on board Dave32, and let us know how you're getting on.

BTW, the statements above suggest that BKK and Pattaya is all there is in Thailand. That of course reflects the membership of this board.

However, if you want to see some more of this wonderful country, consider finding a pleasant female guide in one of these RLD, and inviting her along for a trip somewhere outside BKK, anywhere. That way you can have your cake and eat it.

However, if you want to see some more of this wonderful country, consider finding a pleasant female guide in one of these RLD, and inviting her along for a trip somewhere outside BKK, anywhere. That way you can have your cake and eat it.

If you want sex and rudimentary translation, yes. But this "guide" will neither provide fascinating cultural insights (other than unintentionally) nor ease your way into any social situation (unless the social scene you're after is hanging out with Issan prostitutes).

No, you can't, in this case, have your cake and eat it, and TANSTAAFL. Imagine if you arrived in your home country and picked up a prostitute at the train station (Europeans) or gas station (Americans) to show you the country -- the way you snicker at the suggestion now is exactly how "regular" Thai people will snicker at you out on the town with your new "friend."

Horses for courses, horses for courses.

Thanks all for input.

Don't carry any illusions about being a noble tourist. Been through a lot the past few years and have settled into a funk in LA. Love this city, but I need to get away for awhile and wake up.

This is a scouting trip.

Maxim's and Aviator's fit with what I'm looking for, am contacting them both. Gracias for the input -- I should've posted that question under the lodging thread, my bad. Original intent was going to be a general query about nightlife.

Before I come out - will post a meetings thread and will show up if you guys have one.

Once again... thank you.

Archived