some bad news for Farang house owners

cheekyboy

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see more and more white haired men being marched around by their 30 something cutie...waiting for the old bugger to pass on and her to collect some $$$ :dunno:

I hear stories from certain US associations here in BKK that when the farang passes on, the newly widowed wife and her "family" show up to try to cash in, many of the family unable to properly walk because they are still drunk!

well, it is certainly legitimate, that those widows get some compensation for their hardship of getting fucked for years by a old cripple!

Where they forced to marry an "old cripple"...NO.

Compensation? that's why the drunk "uncles" show up with the widow to cash in...a bit of a slap to the deceased and the body is still warm! Quite disrespectful, but TIT and to each there own.

A bit of a true story that I have seen unfold.

Putting aside issues of fairness and level playing fields, the U.S. is not going to make homeownership more restrictive. The housing industry is a mess, and that it the last thing any responsible government will do.

Matters are much worse here in Thailand. Let me give an example. The Le Raffine condo complexes were selling units in the tens of millions of Baht. A deal just completed on a unit a foreigner can own in one of the new La Raffine projects for 25% of the asking price less than a year ago.

The facade is beginning to crumble. The developers are running dry of cash. If you want to buy a condo now, press hard - really hard, and don't hesitiate walk away if you think can get a better deal.

There was an article in the Bangkok Post about how the vast majority (I think 90% of the land) in Thailand is owned by a very small group (less than 10%), who are primarily absentee landlords in Bangkok. When someone is building in a national park or spewing sewage into the ocean, its virtually always one of this small group of the elites.

When foreigners build and operate complexes, this doesn't occur. When Thais set things up where they actually live, they also take measures, within their means, to have proper sanitation, etc., also. But when a wealthy Thai who lives in Bangkok sets something up from where he actually lives, he doesn't care. Why should he?

It is this group that wants to keep foreigners out by maintaing a stranglehold on the property market. Poor farmers and middle class Thais have nothing to fear from Farangs - they can only benefit.

If a wealthy Farang decides to retire in Thailand and use some vehicle (registered lease, company, buidling ownership) to control property, when he dies, his property will almost certainly pass to an Issan girl who is a NOT a member of the right class here. That's the real problem.

Those who make the rules here are more concerned about the fact that increasing numbers of "undeserving" (by birth) Thais are acquiring property through Farangs than they are Farangs actually "owning" property for 10 or 20 years before they pass on. It upsets the class system and they - the elite - miss an opportunity to make a buck. Instead, some an Issan girl who doesn't "deserve" to be wealthy does. This is what really bothers the elite.

It's not a Farang vs. Thai issue, and has never been one. Its all about Farangs upsetting the sakadina system. And adding gasoliine to the fire, less Thais now buy into the class system. That is the real issue.

Problem is that the current arrangement is simply not sustainable, particularly not with the world economy in its current state (and probably even if it wasn't). This is the on-going problem everywhere now in Thailand. The system is going to have to change or collapse.

Not beause of Farangs, but because most Thais themselves are fed up with it and educated enough to know they are being conned and who is really conning them. Information gets out faster know, and there is nothing that can be done to prevent that. We live in interesting times.

Very interesting post Mr Gad and expresses some views that I also hold. My take is that Thais rarely worry about anything foreign, they know too little about anything foreign to worry about it more they are concerned for the status quo within their own domain. I also feel that the somewhat circular politics in Thailand demonstrate this in how 'apparent' power is simply moved from one group to another whilst remaining within a still very small circle. Meanwhile the real complaint from the people would seem to demand more equitable politics in line with the masses. Again this disturbs the elite here the same way it does in Burma, the differences between the two countries at times seems like a very thin veneer.

As you say, interesting times, unfortunately I suspect a full revolt is the only way to end this and that sems highly unlikely, at least just yet.

Yes, I have seen this taking place more and more over the past few years...poor Thai lady marries a farang, the farang passes on and she suddenly has a huge pile of money!

Te old rich in LOS do not want this invasion of the suddenly new rich, IMO.

If a wealthy Farang decides to retire in Thailand and use some vehicle (registered lease, company, buidling ownership) to control property, when he dies, his property will almost certainly pass to an Issan girl who is a NOT a member of the right class here. That's the real problem.

I seriously doubt the Thai elite class are worried one bit about a bunch of former Issan bar girls coming into a load of cash. The BG's aren't exactly rocket scientists and the Thai elites know it. That new found wealth would be blown on mobile phones, motorcycles, pick-up trucks, clothes, jewelery, etc in no time.

And who do you think will be selling them all that crap? The Thai elite.

Well my wife is not from Issan but she sure comes from a poor family, and she knows she hit the (relatively speaking) jackpot. She is smart in ways I could probably never dream of and her attitude to phones goes as far as 'does it fit my pocket?', 'can I talk to my friends?', okay already it's good enough. That she drives an SLK might upset one or two on the moo baan but what do I care, she's happy, I'm happy, life is good. But yeah I think it does mess with with old money heads, not that these girls will get within 100th of their wealth or power but simply that they have a foot on the ladder that says 'we know what you do and how, we might lack education but stupid we aint, watch it!'.

Archived