some bad news for Farang house owners

cheekyboy

Lets read between the lines. It's not that they want to prevent it from happening like it is happening today.

It's them looking ahead to when the baht completely shits the bed and hits 97 against the dollar again.

Thailand during the last fiscal crisis was much less conspicuous than it will be during the upcoming failure. It has a higher profile right now and all kinds of falangs will be licking there chops to buy land at 1/3 the cost.

Stay tuned for the crash.... :stirthepo:stirthepo

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...don't hold your breath...the USD is in deep doo doo...how can the Fed crank out trillions of dollars for the phony bailout and not cause the dollar to devalue?

The USD is done, only a matter of time.

I would say look to get into Chinese Yuan as they have piles of US treasury notes stacked up and they will buy out the USA over the next few years...IMO

You have ignored the context of the article:

â??The director general of the Land Department has reiterated that foreigners using Thai nominees to buy land anywhere in the country will have their land title deeds revoked if caught â?? even if the nominee in question is a lawfully wedded spouseâ?¦.â?Â

In not one of your scenarios could it anyway be construed that the Thai women is being used as a nominee.

TH

I don't really see the line between a nominee operation and a legit one. The underlying (demagogic) political approach would be that all Thai wifes of Farang husbands are nominees if they can't prove that their personal wealth/income is high enough to buy the real-estate.

However, I may be wrong, but I doubt anyone will ripped of their property. They'll just be forced to pay some corrupt officials to safeguard their assets.

....I would say look to get into Chinese Yuan as they have piles of US treasury notes stacked up and they will buy out the USA over the next few years...IMO

Sorta like everyone said the Japanese would in the â??70â??s and â??80â??s, right?

:dunno:

TH

It was 94 Yen > USD within the past few days...if you had bought Yen when it was say 110 (1 year ago) you would have made 15% on your money.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=USDJPY=X&t=1y&l=on&z=m&q=l&c=

I do hold some Yen and buy/sell via Citibank account in Japan. Make some small profits.

Japan in the 80's was 160 Yen to the US dollar, was at one time 300 Yen to the dollar, but that was many years ago.

all Thai wifes of Farang husbands are nominees if they can't prove that their personal wealth/income is high enough to buy the real-estate.

Exactly right. So there is your context. In everyone of the examples I provide, the Land Department could say she is breaking the law.

Remember that what he actually said - from my direct full paragraph quote from the Phuket Gazatte - was real simple: if she doesn't have enough money to buy property, and she uses money she got from a foreigner to buy property, it is against the law and the land title can be revoked. It was that simple and straight forward.

Since others are claiming he mis-spoke and really didn't mean what he actaully said (I guess this can always say this someon doesn't like what an oficial says), look at the actual practices of the Land Department. That provides the real context.

Up until shortly after the 1997 Constitution, if a Thai woman was married to a Farang she couldn't buy property. It was that simple.

Doesen't that provide all the context we really need to understand what he is saying?

However, I may be wrong, but I doubt anyone will ripped of their property. They'll just be forced to pay some corrupt officials to safeguard their assets.

Probably right. This sort of comments gives corrupt officials the leverage they need and creates further problems for the the already problematic Thai property market.

This comment and the Land Department's actual practices up until they were forced, kicking and screaming after the 1997 constitution, shows that they simply don't want Thai women to buy property if they don't come from a wealthy enough family to buy it directly but instead a Farang supplies the money. That attitude clearly hasn't changed.

Archived