some bad news for Farang house owners

cheekyboy

"So if you do sign the statement and get divorced, that property is probably outside community property. I do know that if she dies and you are the legal heir, you have a year to sell it,"

Ya. That's what I had.

Cheers,

SD

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Practically, I wonder how would the authorities enforce it?

It seems very complicated to me to assert that the Thai spouse could not afford the real estate on her/his own?

No tax receipts to back the multi-million baht purchase price. :devil:

This makes it easy for a rich Thai to do a land grab. :deal:

Since my wife and kids now live in the U.S., it will be very hard fro Thai officials to go over their U.S. bank accounts (all Thai accounts except mine were closed last year). I paid for the land several years ago and built the house about a year later (3 years ago), so the only thing that Thai authorities could look at would be the price I (or legally speaking my wife) paid for the land when it was transfered to her name 3 years ago. The land is registered in Sankamphaene, which is not the hot area for farangs to live. I doubt if I have much to worry about. As soon as it can be legally tranfered to my son, it will be (unless someone offers us a decent return on selling it).

Whatever.

It is a Thai farked up deal.

I marry a Thai, bring her to the USA and she can get a green card and that means a "work permit".

I marry a Thai in Thaialand and I get shit!!!

No work permit, No Green Card equiv... WTF...time to level the playing field!!!

Cav, thats one of the big reasons that I moved back to the U.S. (the biggest reason is getting my wife's 3 kids graduated from a U.S. college with a decent future). I'm 56 and too young to retire (and not financilly set up to do it) but I can't work legally in Thailand. I have no desire to own a bar or resturant in LOS (or in the U.S., for that matter) and don't have the skills to get a decent paying job in LOS and probably wouldn't open up a business there, as, if it got sucessful, a Thai would probably think of a way to copy it and have mine closed down, unless I agreed to pay off the police. If you are talking about a Thai green card to do decent paying skilled jobs, like consulting, IT, engineering, that would work. Concerning treating Thais in the U.S the same as Americans are treated in LOS, I doubt if the percentages are the same (far fewer Thais own houses in U.S. than Americans owning in Thailand). I reaaly wouldn't want my Thai wife barred from owning a house in the U.S., if she wants to live here after I kick it. Of course, by then she might be a U.S. citizen, and that is something that will never be reciprocated in LOS, even if the farang has lived in LOS for 30-40 years (unless he/she is very wealthy).

Ive never checked with a Thai lawyer about at what age a Thai citizen can own land but was told by three Thai friends the same thing; Thais can not own land until they are at least 15 (one said 18). Ill have to check on that the next time I'm in LOS. It might make a difference if the son (who is 18 months old) lives outside of Thailand.

maybe they think the Isaan bunnies are getting above themselves with too much property and goods ,its gets them worried .they want them to stay in poverty so they can be pushed around .

all that farang cash flowing into isaan and they cant get their hands on it ,unless they take other measures some day .I wonder how many farangs own property by the back door in LOS ??

Archived