some bad news for Farang house owners

cheekyboy

I was simply going by the opening paragraph:

"The director general of the Land Department has reiterated that foreigners using Thai nominees to buy land anywhere in the country will have their land title deeds revoked if caught â?? even if the nominee in question is a lawfully wedded spouse."

Note the word "reiterated" which makes me think this is nothing new and "Thai nominees" which means to me going after a specific tactic used to buy land.

But then again, I could be completely wrong and the Thai elite is indeed culminating a huge multi year conspiracy to take all the land that is owned by Thai wives away if they can't prove the money is thiers alone. :sleeping:

TH

P.S.- I do see that TV closed their thread due to the paranoia getting out of hand and the misinformation getting ridiculous.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cheers,

SD

PS -- I believe ThaiHome is correct; I did have a rider on the chanote (put in place by my ex- when we were married) that stated I was a co-owner, but I had to liquidate the land if we were divorced or she died. I have heard nothing that this has changed (tho' the OP did make it sound as such).

has not changed

...the Thai elite is indeed culminating a huge multi year conspiracy to take all the land that is owned by Thai wives away if they can't prove the money is thiers alone....

The Thai elite has taken upon itself to stop unscrupulous Issan women from taking advantage of lonely old men from foreign lands.

It would be interesting to see the stats about how much money is actually flowing into the Thai economy by Farangs buying/building houses and land.I say this because on one or two recent trips to villages in the middle of nowhere there always seems to be several large fancy houses which the locals point out as being Foreign owned.Cant see why the authorities would object to this appart from the obvious jealousy ie.former BG made good builds house bigger than the village head guy...

am surprised some people here are not better at reading what is actually being said, so here is what I think he meant (as opposed to what the translation of what he said):

Wait a minute. You are complaining about "some people here are not better at reading what is actually being said", and then changing the actual language from the quote to fit what you think he intended to say.

Let's go to that part of the Phuket Gazaette article where the official is quoted. It says:

â??If the Thai spouse has enough money to buy the house that is fine, but if the Thai has no money and uses money given to him or her by a foreigner to acquire property, that is against the law. If we check and find out later that a Thai person has been using money from a foreigner to buy land anywhere in Thailand, we will revoke title deeds,â? he said.

Sounds pretty clear to me. According to this official, if a "Thai has no money and uses money given to him or her by a foreigner to acquire property, that is against the law."

So, let's apply this rule with a few examples:

- Thai woman receives a sin sot after marrying a Farang, and then uses the money to buy land that she could not otherwise afford to buy. According to the Land Department, "that is against the law."

- Thai woman obtains enough money from Farang sponsors to buy land she would not otherwise be able to afford. That is also against the law.

I can think of many real-life examples of this happening. Let me be specific, I know a BG from Bacarra that just bought five Rai in Buriam based on money given to her by foreigners. According to the Land Department, that is against the law and her title to that land should be revoked.

That is what is saying.

Put aside the Thai elite theory for a moment. That, like your convenient re-translation of the official's quote as it appeared based on what you imagine he might have said, is nothing more than speculation. The quote from the Phuket Gazette is something everyone here can access and check, and its pretty damn clear.

There is also some history to this. As someone else here pointed out, in the not-to-distant past the Land Department would not allow a Thai women married to a foreigner to buy property. This rule only changed when the 1997 Constitution provided that both women and men had to be treated the same, meaning a Thai guy married to a foreign women would also be prohibited from buying property.

Once the rule was applied to both men and women, the land department ended this ridiculous practice. But do you reaally think the attitude has changed? I certinaly don't, and the article in the Phuket Gazatte is just further evidence of this.

You have ignored the context of the article:

â??The director general of the Land Department has reiterated that foreigners using Thai nominees to buy land anywhere in the country will have their land title deeds revoked if caught â?? even if the nominee in question is a lawfully wedded spouseâ?¦.â?Â

In not one of your scenarios could it anyway be construed that the Thai women is being used as a nominee.

TH

Archived