Self Generated income in Issan & small towns

imperial

And that is only for a number of years. The franchise must be renewed periodically. I get the feeling that when one disappears, it means the owner figured the cost of the renewal wasn't worth it.

I'm told the 7-Eleven staff get 6500 baht a month, the manager more. That is a pretty good overhead right there.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having no idea how much you want to plunk down all at once, but something you might want to consider and discuss with the lady is the purchase of a truck or tuk-tuk or piece of farm equipment like a small tractor. Father could haul goods/people to the market, plow other's fields, or rent out the equipment. Just throwing stuff against the wall and seeing what sticks.

As others have said, the lack of biz sense is something that must be considered. If the father drove a taxi, he must have some biz acumen..at least enough to know that his day's receipts aren't all profit...that he has to set some aside for repairs/fuel, licensing, etc., etc.

HH

• 3 weeks later...
Hi,

"but who is going to fix the computers when they break?"

This I gather is the biggest problem with computers upcountry. They break down and there is nobody to fix them, or even to maintain them so they break down less often.

Sanuk!

And a big part of the maintenance would be anti-virus and spyware software. I had to use an internet cafe on Soi Nana a few years ago that turned out to be infected. I asked the shop-girl about anti-virus software on the computer and she thought that I was inquiring about her health.

What about a pawn broking business....always successfull when times are hard or money is scarce.....or theres always short term high % money lending... :scared: ...not something I would get involved in though...

I offered to back my girlfriend in loaning money on land but she was not eager to do it. It seems to be an accepted way of loaning money to farmers in Issan but a person can easily lose their property and she did not want to get involved in that.

I once had a maid who quit to sell T-shirts. She would buy them cheaply in Bangkok - at Pratunam market, I think - and sell them for a nice mark up in Isaan. Sometimes she'd sell jeans too. It wasn't a big income, but it was more than she made as a maid in Bangkok.

I like this idea. I have a friend whose GF sells new and used clothing, shoes and accessories in Roi Et and she does OK. She comes to Bangkok and buys stuff to take North. She also sells customers dried bplaa muk and other snacks not widely available in Roi Et. Of course the difficult part is that the proprietor will need some business sense.

A friend set his GF up with a used clothing store here in Bangkok. He bought her 200kb worth of clothes and when the clothes were gone so was the money and the business.

A friend of mine had the same problem with his wife need for regular income.

What he did was organize a small fish farm in Isaan. The way he tells it, it was quite simple to do. Now her whole family is involved and they all share in the profits generated every month. I believe they are raising tilapia fish.

A new income earner I've noticed is "Online" one person buys mobile phone credit online then sells it - 5 baht per sale.

On average most people are only buying less than 100 baht of credit so about 50 baht per day. Given ave income is only double that in the village that's not bad

Archived