Self Generated income in Issan & small towns

imperial

In areas with little discretionary income such as Isan, the only way to make money is to sell essentials; food, cheap clothing,

fertilizer, building materials, essential household goods such as furniture and kitchenware.

Go into any village and even the smallest will have several grocery shops already in place competing for the meager baht available.

Every Ampoer will have several of every kind of dealer in essentials: a very tough market to break into for anything.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I once had a maid who quit to sell T-shirts. She would buy them cheaply in Bangkok - at Pratunam market, I think - and sell them for a nice mark up in Isaan. Sometimes she'd sell jeans too. It wasn't a big income, but it was more than she made as a maid in Bangkok.

thanks guys for the ideas,

I know I am going against the grain thinking it might work, but I am thick headed and if there was a way to help her help herself I might do it ,

the other problem is longterm , say you started selling Hula hoops , it might work for a week or a month , but soon the fad is over, you are stuck with unsold inventory and you need to find a new thing to sell but do not have the capital because its all stuck in unsold inventory,

Food places look good , but the competition is so high and the locals so poor profit will be low,

maybe there is no real answer, especially in our western brain where we are spoiled with easy everything and always want to do better, we push that on Thais who may not think the same and do not really think 5-10 years ahead,

BK

i would go with bamboo furniture and quality goods.

the items i see in London on sale are very well designed and made in bamboo ,from India .

if they could do such a thing i dont know as they are top quality designs not something you see on sale in LOS . they are usually ramshackle design and build as they dont have a clue as they have never seen top quality bamboo goods.

Its not what I can make in LOS,

its what she can do to make some extra baht,

I saw bamboo bikes years ago at the big bike show in Koln , I liked them but its not my business , I am more a car guy,

Furniture is cheap but shipping would kill you,

I am still trying to figure it out , maybe thats impossible , but I will try,

Maybe we need to do a retired BG Co-Op, buy stuff in China for them to sell back at home in Issan !

BK

Archived