Sarkozy says burqas are not welcome in France

Flashermac

Guest lazyphil

further more, these belegerent dipshits should really think long and hard, trying to emulate their 'sisters' in afghanistan where they have no choice but to wear is insulting and plain stupid. in that fucked up world women have a shit life. as i saw these beautiful sweet afghan school girls, rather wanna be school girls huddled up talking quietly to westener how they would love to be able to go to school. these petulent pricks walking around in defience and very misguided, imo.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OK, one more time.

thanks.

Sarkozy says those women are forced to wear burqas in France and I don't think that's true.

that is of course your prerogative to say, but all studies point the other way.

growing peer pressure on the girls and woman to wear the veil.

All I said was that burqa wearing in the West has become a political statement. I think it's done to push the limits of Western liberal philosophy

the burqa is now a political symbol ? LOL

... and it is related to the problems in the Middle East whether you like it or not. As you say the world has become a small place and all these issues are related. Not to mention various wars going on in muslim countries. Rightly or wrongly many Muslims think that their culture/religion is under attack. Likewise seeing burqas on the streets makes many Westerners feel threatened by Islam.

LOL only you are connecting the veil and burqa here in the west with the middle east.....

You seem to have taken it personally. It wasn't my idea to turn this into a discussion about Israel/Palestine. My only 'obsession' is with the truth (as I see it).

please do scroll back to your first posts on this threat, you mention the Israeli / Palestine conflict, not me. looks like your obsession, my friend, not mine.....

BB

Women in Pakistan and Afghanistan are pressured to wear burqas. No argument about that. But in the West I think it's mainly used as a political symbol. Not sure why you find that funny. Can you post a link to those studies that show otherwise?

You do realise we are talking about a few hundred women in France? Hardly an epidemic.

I wouldn't describe my interest in the Middle East as an an obsession. I do think what goes on there could decide the future of the world so I try to keep up. But I have lots of interests. The Middle East is certainly one of them probably because I worked there for a number of years. I also lived in Thailand which is why I keep coming to Thai360 but I don't have much to say lately.

I thought the thread was interesting mainly because burqa wearing challenges Western liberal values and the way it relates to broader issues like Israel/Palestine. I still think so. You are making a big deal out of it my friend. Why not start a new thread if you want to discuss the Middle East? You seem to be the one with the obsession. [color:gray][/color]

wearing burkhas in the uk is akin to childish goings on at my old school. white socks were frowned upon by teachers so boys wore them. rebels. petty and childish. same same and same. these morons need to grow up and in the heatwave we're having now do them a favor lol.....not on an afgham mountain side village now!!!

but up to them.

I think we're talking about a few hundred muslim women in France choosing to wear burqas phil. Unless you're talking about standard headcovering...niqab? Could be some parental pressure involved there. But you're right. It's not too different from the usual stuff that goes on at school....young people are obsessed with identity. They usually grow out of it but the religious stuff is more lasting. Depends on how brainwashed they are I guess.

Plenty of people lose faith in the religious teachings of their childhood as they grow up. But if you were raised Muslim, it is best not to admit it. Haven't heard of many other religions these days threatening to whack their members if they renounce the faith. That does make a difference.

p.s. I don't think even the Scientologists have killed any apostates lately. :dunno:

Very true. Especially Saudi Arabia where they are very strict. But we are talking about women being forced to wear burqas in France.

I'm trying to find those studies BB mentioned. No luck so far. There is a commission in France currently studying the issue I believe.

http://www.blnz.com/news/2009/06/19/French_government_supports_study_burqa_8644.html

Archived