Foreign Correspondents in Thailand Getting the Iran Treatment

Gadfly

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Isn't it a case of lese majeste if you use the law against the wishes of the majeste? :hmmm:

You would think so wouldn't you? I know I would find it insulting if people ignored my explicit wishes to not use this law in this manner 'in my name'. But then, we all know this has nothing to do with him... and everything to do with political party BS and harassment of one's 'enemies'.

The issue is obsessed with the foreign media?

Old Hippie and Suadum did a good job of answering your question:

Aren't the number of Les Majeste charges/accusations increasing? Thais here say this was hardly heard of before, though the law did exist, and were usually for far greater violations.

Yes. It is a political weapon.

In other words, those that are employing this political weapon are annoyed by the increasing attention the foreign media is paying to the marked increase use of this tactic. As OH says, it was hardly ever heard of before.

Easier to attack the press, particularly the foreign press, than justify the harsh use of this weapon, but even harder to effectively do so and muzzle the news these days with CNN, BBC, the internet, blogging and, now, twitter.

Yes, they are "obsessed" and frustrated (perhaps the better word here) with their inability to control the flow of news out of Thailand and its image in the foreign press.

This goes a long way in explaining why there has been a lashing out at the FCCT as a group. And it is not unique to Thailand.

Vested interests in ther countries also take action against the foreign media when they simply report on what is happening. All of them, and not just Thailand, are frustrated and obsessed with their inability to control the flow of news and information.

The world is changing.

I think you covered everything. It's definitely being used as a political weapon...was that ever in doubt? The world is constantly changing....very true. And this stupid law has become something of an obsession for lots of people not all of them Thai.

But the foreign media simply reports without any kind of bias. Apart from the odd gonzo writer and Paul Handley's book there have been no attempts to cash in on a hot issue. Thanks.

The foreign media simply reports without any kind of bias. Paul Handley's book would be a good example of that.

I was going to let this last post slide until I re-read the post and saw the sly and snide reference to Paul Handley's book (for others: google Paul Handley, and you will understand why this post is necessary).

The Foreign press represents a variety of views, and putting aside the snide reference to Mr. Handley's books (I am certainly not going to debate that here), there is a bigger and more important point: collectively, the fairy tale image of Thailand starts to fall apart and a more accurate image of Thailand comes through with increased reporting and blogging about Thailand.

Now let's not talk about Paul Handley's book, but the use of a reference to Paul Handley's book and the use of terms like "Thai bashing" - the go together. This sort tactic says a great deal, much like the official compalaint against the FCCT says a great deal about those who employ these tactics. What does it say and tell us about those who employ them?

First, it diverts attention from the real issues here by raising a polarizing appeal to base nationalistic xenophobia. Never mind the merits of your position or argument, you can simply be dismissed as a "Thai basher".

Second, its insulting. It says I, the person employing this tactic (say, for example, calling someone a Thai basher), think you, the reader, are stupid enough to fall for this ploy and think that if I say a criticism of a Thai policy, law or politician is a form of Thai bashing, you will fall for it and not actually judge the issue on its merits.

Finally, because of the extreme sensitivity surrounding this subject, and Paul Handley's book (which is banned here) is a good example of this (but not of foreign media attention to Thailand), it is very dangerous. What sort of desperation drives someone to use these base tactics? Perhaps an a frustrating inability to address matters properly on their merits?

Think about all of this whenever you read a post by someone here who has employed this sort dishonest and potentially dangerous tactic to avoid discussion of an issue about Thailand on its merits. Can you trust anything they say? I don't think so.

Desperation? Don't be silly. What is snide about a reference to Paul Handley's book? It, and the fuss surrounding it, are a perfect example of what I'm trying to say. Namely that certain elements in the foreign media have an obsession with the Thai lese majeste laws. You say it's the other way around. You say the media are simply reporting the facts and it's Thais that are obsessed with the foreign media. Some Thais are certainly frustrated by what they see as foreign meddling but I'm sure the political infighting will go on with or without foreign media attention.

Potentially dangerous? Haven't we had a similar discussion before? It was about that Harry whatsit right? Didn't you threaten me with a lawsuit or something? I'll see if I can dig up the thread.

Archived