More Police Extortion

clubsiam

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree with this, but the other side of this is the thousands of vague and unreasonable Thai laws and regulations that are selectively enforced or open to the "discretion" of the enforcing officer. They create the infrastructure for this sort of extortion.

Prostitution is the best and, for this forum, most relevant example.

Prevention and Suppression of Prostitution Act of 1996

Many board members are in violation of Section 5 and 6 on a regular basis. The 1000 Baht isn't a big deal, but a month in jail would definitely ruin a holiday.

I can't see them ever enforcing Section 5 or 6 in a major entertainment area. People higher up would lose too much money if that happened. Much more than they could collect in fines and bribes.

I'd guess that you'd hear people start talking about getting set up and arrested under section 8 first. That seems like a safer and more profitable stream of revenue.

I'd guess that you'd hear people start talking about getting set up and arrested under section 8 first. That seems like a safer and more profitable stream of revenue.

That's nothing new. I remember reading several warnings in regard to underage prostitution here on the board since years.

Not new, but rarely enforced before despite the fact that there are girls under 18 working in some of the bars. I've only seen warnings on this board and not actual stories of this happening (yet).

Just saying that I'd be especially careful these days about making sure the girl really was over 18.

My last trip I brought a girl back to my hotel that didn't have ID for the desk clerk. She had lied when I asked her before barfining, but made a good show of searching her purse like she had misplaced it. In this situation, what percentage of punters would call the whole thing off?

I immediately brought her back to her bar and got my barfine refunded (to my amazement). What was scary was Mama-san asked if I wanted to pick a different girl. But as I pointed to different girls that all looked to be over 18, Mama-san informed me none of them would have ID either. This was a well known bar inside NEP.

'being setup with under 18 BG' must be urban legend.

never heard a story that could be verified.

personally I've only heard 'probable underage' 17'ish worry about being rejected or caught.

not even a word or though on 'extortion schemes'.

surely if someone should be stupid enough to run such a scheme & the word would get out e.g. on here stickman, the local/inter news whereever surely the business will suffer more than they's gain - be it for bar owners, police, BGs et all.

well just my POW. YMMV ;)

in the USA if you are playing the radio in a business you also need a licence if its for your customers , so say a barber shop or some place like that,

many hair salons got busted a few years ago :(

BK

What if you are playing the music for yourself, music to work by? Seems a stupid ruling here in that. So the employees and owner/staff can't listen to music while they work?

If they use headphones, no problem. However, if it is audible, then it is an unlawful public/commercial broadcast unless you pay the appropriate fee.

It seems more than reasonable to me. It is no different if you were an architect, lawyer or similar professions where you put you ideas and knowhow onto paper or other medium. You don't want others copying it, using it or dispersing it for free.

That is complete bullshit. They are already getting paid from the radio companies to publicly broadcast their music. Now they want to control where a radio can be played. Bullshit. These people are out of control greedy pigs who want to double dip. They pay big money to the slimebag lawyers to go after the little people who cannot afford big time sleazebag lawyers. All bullshit.

Wow, sorry for offering an opinion.

With respect, it sounds like you should open up a food shop, it seems that you have a lot of chips on your shoulder - your angst against solicitors is unbelievable (way over an above the general distrust for them).

I will let you into a trade secret, most solicitors complain about idiotic clients as well; who never listen to advice, who tell them half truths or just say what they want to say, instead of the truth. As for people not being able to afford lawyers, most western jurisdictions provide free or cheap legal advice for the poor or not so well off. I can agree that often the law is an ass but don't shoot the messenger. In Australia, 70% of legal work is non-contentious and purely commercial in nature. I cannot comment about the USA where there seems, to me, to be some very odd ways of how the law serves its citizens.

No one forces them to play the music, they can rely on general chit chat or other means of entertainment.

Indeed, there is a recent trend, that a lot of old movie/TV stars (or their estates) are outraged that royalties from their old movies or TV shows which are being mass produced by new media (like DVD, downloads etc) are not coming back to them. Seems to me to be a similar analogy to music artists and commercial broadcasts of music (as opposed to someone's personal use who has actual paid for the CD/tape).

in the USA if you are playing the radio in a business you also need a licence if its for your customers ' date=' so say a barber shop or some place like that,

many hair salons got busted a few years ago :(

BK[/quote']

What if you are playing the music for yourself, music to work by? Seems a stupid ruling here in that. So the employees and owner/staff can't listen to music while they work?

Ok, I looked this up and this is bullshit. Here is the quote and the link to the people that give the licenses out.........

"8. I'm interested in playing music in my restaurant or other business. I know that I need permission for live performances. Do I need permission if I am using only CD's, records, tapes, radio or TV?

Yes, you will need permission to play records or tapes in your establishment. Permission for radio and television transmissions in your business is not needed if the performance is by means of public communication of TV or radio transmissions by eating, drinking, retail or certain other establishments of a certain size which use a limited number of speakers or TVs, and if the reception is not further transmitted (for example, from one room to another) from the place in which it is received, and there is no admission charge. Your local ASCAP licensing manager can discuss your needs and advise how ASCAP can help you.

I'm no lawyer but it seems to me to be pretty vague as far as what they require for size or speaker limitation. Play your radio all you want in your business. You get fined then this should be an easy win for the business owner.

ASCAP website Fequently asked questions

Archived