More Police Extortion

clubsiam

Music licensing violation.

Not having a license to play that CD.

Will the cash fine be forwarded to the artists I wonder?

Lumpini Station is Mafia central by the way...and no, she didn't get a receipt.

I have heard the chief there needs to kick 1 million a month upstairs in cash to keep the job.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, someone who owns a tiny taco shop plays a CD on boom box and is arrested for not having the right license to do this - is that about right?

We can only imagine what this license might be. I see this as the fundamental problem and because of Thailand's (and the world's) economic woes I see this getting worse.

I have also seen more MIB out on the streets pulling over motorcycles and checking IDs of pedestrians. They appear to be targetting poorer Thais - that is, people without redress.

Here are several questions a Thai taxi driver put to me the other night after I told him how long I have lived here: "When was the last time you saw the MIB pull over anyone in a Series 7 BMW in Thailand?" Answer: "Never". "Have you seen it happen in the U.S.?" Answer: "Sure, I have seen all sorts of cars pulled over in the U.S."

clubsiam,

thanks for the info. Now we surely know this was a total scam. I didn't know they could actually 'enforce that' down at main police station & then even not giving a receipt! :banghead:

surely even when BiB do a 'legitimate' enforcement say a speed check point or road tax toll way check - at least there one is issued a receipt, but as mentioned one rarely or never notice a BMW 7-series in the pay up line, but it does a have a nice feeling about it as they collect the 300bt a head & snugly stuff them into a briefcase & only buddha knows how the cash is distributed afterward :hmmm:

a long term friend of mine now says the tactic to deal with this BiB traffic bullshit is to simply ignore them totally. never stop when they wave people in speed up instead - might work better in a dark BMW or other large car & personally I'm still not sure what the follow up would be if they really wanted you to pay? Anyone?

A fine in the post based on your license plate?

Hi,

"a long term friend of mine now says the tactic to deal with this BiB traffic bullshit is to simply ignore them totally. never stop when they wave people in speed up instead"

Ex-colleague of mine always did the same. Of course, he had diplomatic plates :)

Sanuk!

OK, someone who owns a tiny taco shop plays a CD on boom box and is arrested for not having the right license to do this - is that about right?

We can only imagine what this license might be. I see this as the fundamental problem and because of Thailand's (and the world's) economic woes I see this getting worse.

I have also seen more MIB out on the streets pulling over motorcycles and checking IDs of pedestrians. They appear to be targetting poorer Thais - that is, people without redress.

Music Licencing for Non-Thai music is a straightforward affair, a single licence covers all foreign music Details Here.

As far as Thai Music is concerned is rather much more complicated, a licence is required for each respective record label / distributor hence the reason why venues that play Thai music have multiple licences on display, one for each record label. So this is not extortion just application of licencing laws.

MIB activity on the streets at this time of the year is an annual occurance, the Chief of Police has to raise the funds to send his daughter / son to an overseas uni some how. There is also increased activity towards the end of each month when the previous months paycheck has run out.

MIB activity on the streets at this time of the year is an annual occurance,

Is it that time of year again? That could explain it, but I thought the re-shuffle occurred in the Fall (but don't really follow MiB affairs, so I could be off by a few months).

There is a certain bar owner in Washington Square, with a Thai wife, that also had to pay because he was playing music in his bar without the "music license", this was last year.

I think he paid 20,000 Baht and he was pissed as he had a "go-go (dancing?) license, but not the "music license"...total BS but TIT.

I think it would be pretty cool of some of these incidents were captured on video for all the world to see ( youtube)

it mite make the scammers a little more careful who and what they concoct their scams about

Except that the business owner might be out of business really soon (or worse).

Archived