More Police Extortion

clubsiam

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, the economic downturn must be affecting many of these scammers (the cops as well) and they seem to be picking up their efforts and designing new scams, or intensifying them. They also seem not to care if their scams are sniffed out and known about, as so many that do come here (still) are clueless to these many scams and fall for them.

Less tourists, less income, and more who will complain so it is becoming more well known and reported on the net and now in some blogs and newspapers around the globe.

To tell the truth, I am happy these scams are finally having more light shone on them.

One way to help bring these scams into the open is to write to your local newspaper editor and explain what is happening here, tell what you know and have seen or heard about these scams. Most local and regional newspapers have a travel section in the paper. This sort of thing is something they just may print to warn their readers who are thinking of traveling, and particularly thinking of traveling to Thailand.

Personally I see it only getting worse as the depression hits harder and longer on Thailand and tourism here. These people have no shame and do not care about Thailand's image abroad. And, they are let to ply their scams by the government, and by the cops and tourist police (who it does seem are involved and getting their cut from the scammers, or even the cops themselves ARE the scammers).

What a rip off...TIT

Whilst there is no guarantee that the money did in fact go back to the right source however, in relation to the actual offence, there are similar laws in most countries. In Australia, you require a licence to play music in commercial establishments (cafes, restaurants, pubs etc). If you don't you will be fined and it does happen.

What is strange is that you can still pick up 1 of 10,000 DVD titles along Sukhumvit, Fortune Town, Pantip Plaza etc ... this selective enforcement of the law against the weak and the relative law abiding citizen as oppose to the hard core commercial criminals that gets on my goat.

What a rip off...TIT

Whilst there is no guarantee that the money did in fact go back to the right source however' date=' in relation to the actual offence, there are similar laws in most countries. In Australia, you require a licence to play music in commercial establishments (cafes, restaurants, pubs etc). If you don't you will be fined and it does happen.

[/quote']

We have the same laws in Germany, but you will receive and receipt. :content:

They get a receipt in Australia as well, as the process is clearly above board, offence notices are issued and kept, and the fine is paid into a different government organization (they are not issued by police, or paid to the police).

From memory, the fee is very reasonable, about $200-$300 AUD per year, which goes back to the artists (they do work it out - all radio stations are required to submit their song lists and it is then divvied up amongst the artists that have been played on all stations - of course, the more songs of yours that get played, the more that artist gets (less an amount required to administer this payment scheme).

Same laws in America. I can remember working in a club in NYC in the 90's and once a month a bunch of 'wiseguys' from ASCAP would come in and receive an envelope full of money. Big tippers.

Unless it's coming from the radio there is a licensing fee one needs to pay to be able to play recorded music legally in America. Really.

We have the same laws in Germany' date=' but you will receive and receipt. :content:

[/quote']

Does that make it cheaper or easier to pay?

;)

TH

Yes on both accounts, but I guess that is to hard for you to understand.

Paillote

Oh, I understand why you think that, but that doesn’t mean I have to agree with you, nor make a personal attack because I don't agree.

TH

Archived