Catch the solar eclipse

Mentors

Telescopes will be provided for stargazers and those interested in watching the solar eclipse on Wednesday at a major observation site in Pathum Thani and eight other locations around Thailand.

National Science Museum scientists will also explain at the site about the natural phenomenon, which will occur from 7am to 9.30am. A thousand tinted pairs of spectacles will be provided for free.

A total solar eclipse cannot be observed within entire Thailand, and the time it begins will vary depending from where it is observed. Call 02 577 9999 extension 2102 or 1835 for more information.

The National Astronomical Institute of Thailand (NAIT) said the duration of the eclipse will be exactly from 7am to 9.19am. Countries and areas where a full eclipse can be seen are India, China, Japan and the South Pacific.

After the total eclipse in Thailand in 1995, this solar ecplise will set a record as the longest so far in the 21st Century, with a duration time of six minutes and 39 seconds. It will last the longest in Chiang Mai - two hours and 12 minutes - as well as be the largest eclipse, with 69 per cent of the moon's shadow covering the Sun.

Bangkokians can see it from 7.06am to 9.08am and can view the moon's shadow at a coverage percentage of 42.2 at 8.03am.

The NAIT is cooperating with Chulalongkorn University in Bangkok and eight universities and colleges in other parts of the country to arrange observation sites from which people can view the eclipse.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2009/07/20/national/national_30107853.php

:cool:

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well it has been cloudy for 2 weeks, so I'd suggest we wont see a thing in BKK...other than a slight dimming and cooling, I expect it will be a non-event, sadly. Wish I had some time off to go and see it in China.

Anyway, lets see what happens....lots of doom and gloom predicted...earthquakes and tsunamis are foretold....if you believe the spam emails.

A lunar eclipse is an eclipse which occurs whenever the moon passes behind the earth such that the earth blocks the sun's rays from striking the moon.

from wikipedia

but Asia will see a [color:blue]Solar Eclipse[/color]!

btw. take care of your eyes:

:surprised: = :nono:

:cool: = :thumbup:

A solar eclipse happens when the moon passes between the earth and the sun. A lunar eclipse occurs when the sun passes between the earth and the moon.

:)

Yes for this kind of eclipse, you can't actually notice it in any way visually, mainly because your eyeballs boil and then vaporize, followed soon after by the rest of your body.

Unlike other eclipses, which occur regularly, this one occurs just once. So don't miss it.

A solar eclipse happens when the moon passes between the earth and the sun. A lunar eclipse occurs when the sun passes between the earth and the moon.

:)

Yes for this kind of eclipse' date=' you can't actually notice it in any way visually, mainly because your eyeballs boil and then vaporize, followed soon after by the rest of your body.

Unlike other eclipses, which occur regularly, this one occurs just once. So don't miss it.

[/quote']

That is without doubt the absolutely funniest response I've seen on this board in a long time. My girl saw me laughing without sound, came over and read it and we both laughed so hard that we were out of breath and I have tears coming out of my eyes. All I could picture was Arnold Schwarneggar in Total Recall when he is cast out on the surface of Mars and his face starts to melt.

Archived