Is it safe in Bangkok?

Wallenda

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TH, I only hope the OPs friend can avoid coming to Oz. I swear this country gets more fucked up every single day :

OK I'll try to alert her to the risks of sniffing petrol (or was it that I should warn her not to try to rescue an aboriginal petrol sniffer who has caught on fire whose girlfriend is holding handfuls of rocks?)

Anyway, thanks much for all the ideas... the thread seems to have morphed into imagining my female Vietnamese college student friend is now a white male who'll be patrolling the red light districts late at night. I don't think she'll be doing doing too much mongering in Patpong or Cowboy.

But some good things to think about, especially the earlier replies. Thanks!

OK I'll try to alert her to the risks of sniffing petrol (or was it that I should warn her not to try to rescue an aboriginal petrol sniffer who has caught on fire whose girlfriend is holding handfuls of rocks?)

No, it was the copper who set the 'innocent' victim alight ! ;)

Seriously, she would be so much safer in the LOS than Farangland.

And walking down Bangkok's red light districts of Patpong and lower Suk at 4:00AM is not?

"Red Light" districts are not the unsafe areas in most Asian cities; the unsafe areas are the slums and ghettos. And even Japan has those.

TH

Most women would not walk alone after midnight in German cities.

As far as I know, Tokyo has only one slum, which you won't enter just by accident. In regard to security Tokyo can't be compared to *any* other capital in the world (only to Singapore maybe). In Japan well known security rules don't apply like never to wear a backpack on the back in crowded situations, not to walk alone outside tourist areas at night e.g., I know this from own exerpience.

In regard to BKK, we just had a thread about pickpockets along Suk. road.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm always a bit puzzled by these rankings. One has to compare faculty versus faculty in each university, not the uni as a whole. e.g. Mahidol is unquestionably #1 for medicine, but by what grounds does the uni as a whole rank over Thammasat, which has the most respected faculty of law and what is considered tops in business (faculty of commerce and accountancy)? Chulalongkorn is regarded as #1 by virtually all Thais - except those at Mahidol (and maybe Thammasat). A lot of these rankings seems like comparing apples and oranges and coming up with the total number of mangoes.

:dunno:

Puzzled. As you should be, for most of these rankings, polls, and surveys are based on sociological illusion.

Archived