Is it safe in Bangkok?

Wallenda

I'm in Vietnam now and know a family friend who is considering studying nursing in Bangkok, but because of the political conflicts and occassional violence there, is at the moment too concerned to go study there, and looking instead at other options (Singapore, mainly).

My feeling is that Singapore is far too expenive for them to be able to afford, and I tend to think there's little risk of violence in Bangkok if you're a student who's always at the university or else other areas out of the way of where these demonstrations normally take place.

So to people who live there, what do you think?

Is it safe?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Agreed. Tho' I'd say the education would be better in Singapore.

Cheers,

SD

Agree to disagree on the comment about standard of eduction, National University of Singapore may be ranked Number 1 in SE Asia but out of the top ten uni's in the region 6 in Thailand, 2 in Singapore and 2 in Indonesia, also Thailand has 9 Uni's in the worlds top 1000 compared to 2 in Singapore.

Rankings

I'm always a bit puzzled by these rankings. One has to compare faculty versus faculty in each university, not the uni as a whole. e.g. Mahidol is unquestionably #1 for medicine, but by what grounds does the uni as a whole rank over Thammasat, which has the most respected faculty of law and what is considered tops in business (faculty of commerce and accountancy)? Chulalongkorn is regarded as #1 by virtually all Thais - except those at Mahidol (and maybe Thammasat). A lot of these rankings seems like comparing apples and oranges and coming up with the total number of mangoes.

:dunno:

I'm always a bit puzzled by these rankings. One has to compare faculty versus faculty in each university, not the uni as a whole. e.g. Mahidol is unquestionably #1 for medicine, but by what grounds does the uni as a whole rank over Thammasat, which has the most respected faculty of law and what is considered tops in business (faculty of commerce and accountancy)? Chulalongkorn is regarded as #1 by virtually all Thais - except those at Mahidol (and maybe Thammasat). A lot of these rankings seems like comparing apples and oranges and coming up with the total number of mangoes.

:dunno:

Flash.. want to ask a question of you.

How much "face" is involved in the uni system in Thailand?

A friend of mine told me once (who was a lecturer up there actually) that a lot of degrees aren't worth the paper they're printed on, and a large % of the students don't really deserve their degrees

but they get passed by the lecturers and the universities because they don't want to lose face by having failing students.

Any truth in that? :dunno:

yes 'rather safe' here, but the obvious of doing the study in Vietnam would be safer & possibly better (than in LOS). In LOS she's have to deal with 'Thailish' or possibly even Thai while in SG 'singlish' should be manageable while there's Hong Kong or Shanghai as well or even Korea to consider?

On rankings why SG only have 2 is probably coz they (probably) don't have any more Uni's on the tiny island LOL? :hmmm:

Furthermore I'd say VN education along with Indonesian, Malay etc surpass Thai easily at least the 'comparable' graduated staff from those countries prove to be on another level (above) ;)

Yes Frash, I'll have to agree with you and agree to disagree with my esteemed colleague K.Mekong LOL!

My lovely Ms Vampy is now at a campus of one of the Unis in the top 15 on that list, but I'd not say -- given what I've seen, and her stories of teacher actions -- it was IMHO well placed on that list.

But regardless, LoS is safe indeed, tho' I'd be hesitant to go to Prince of Songkla Uni given the proximity to the area of LoS with the most issues. That's too bad as I know it is a good school. Tho' I suppose the Phuket campus would be OK. Dunno about the Trang and Surat Thani campuses, and certainly avoid the Pattani campus!

Cheers,

SD

Don't shoot the (pedantic) messanger, you know I like to rock the boat occasionaly.

As Flash said Thammasat has the reputation for "Business Studies" Mrs M Graduated from an Biz Studies Degree (in English) at Thammasat and then went on to do her Masters in the States yet it is I, this dumb fuck Engineer, who controls finance at home, to ne honest she speaks decent English.

On a personal level I have found KMIT Grads to be the best, not only can they calculate the volume of a jar of jam they can also take the lid off, limited exposure within engineering field on my behalf.

FYI my Old Uni is Ranked at 43 in the world damn there are some weird Alumni in this world.

Archived