What Thai bank would you recommend?

doxx

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got both Bangkok Bank and Kasikorn. Kasikorn seems a bit friendlier. e.g. A few years ago they were giving customers free condoms. We know all banks screw us, but it was nice of them to provide the meechai. :)

One of the newer banks might be easier to get an account with though.

p.s. For whatever reason, the US govmt will only pay benefits (Soc Sec, veterans etc) into the Bangkok Bank. :dunno:

As has been mentioned on another thread, all banks will be charging the 150 Baht and after 11 Aug, UOB is supposed to start charging 100 Baht, but mostly UOB will not open an account for you unless you are here on a marriage, work or retirement visa...this info a few years dated, so YMMV.

Nothing bad to say on either kasikorn/ktb or bangkok bank where I have accounts, but mainly I got experiences with ktb & they're pretty good.

Got visa debit atm card & internet banking on the same day of walking into new branch to apply & their english is not bad & branch stays open like forever (really long hours) ;)

also haven't gotten any withdrawal fee's for a long time now & I use various atms almost daily including own bank (ktb) & others in various provinces - think you get like 5-10 free with other banks & all free within ktb obviously. anyway exceed other free is only 5bt so manageable even it still sucks to pay to actually spend your hard earned money :banghead:

150bt? yeah that's fuckin out of this world and so is 100bt :susel:

However if planning on getting loans from your bank SCB has the best 'foreigner friendly rep' so you keep that option open.

Just bring passport with valid (non IMM) visa & a few hundred baht (500bt) to open account. Also some 'address document' may be useful...

cheers!

I wouldn't go with any bank that's applying the 150b fee to foreign card atm withdrawals.

I Suggest this post should be nominated for the most moronic unane post of the year.

HE WABTS TO OPEN A THAI BANK ACCOUNT!

Why Should / Would Charges to foreign cards affect him .... Barry Stay off Expat maters and stay in the sub forums you may know sonething out.

Doxx

Never had a problem with BKK Bank or Kasikorn, I have used BBL for SWIFT international transfers and never had a problem, Kasikorn account was opened when I was working in Thailand by my company so I got the visa card etc, I even have property loans through them (even though certain board members say it cannot be done)

Curently I prefer Kasikorn to BBL since it is a VISA card as opposed to Cirrus + of BBL, the ATM at my local bar when in Qatar accepts Visa :)

I dont have an SCB (Siam Commercial Bank) account as of yet, but my Bro in Law who works for them is trying to sell it to me. the few farangs I do know who bank with SCB have not complained as of yet.

Personaly I would not recommend a bank, just tell you of horror stories which fortunately, since I only use thai banks as a slush fund, I have never had. You know your own requirements based upon your unique situation, make enquiries and once you decide ask the forim "Anyone with bad experiences with XXX Bank" and we may be able to add assistance.

Archived