Clinton Entertainment Plaza.

chuckwoww

Depends. Most times I was there, I was staying at the hotel, and I prefer not to do girls who I have to see everytime I enter that bar. And usually, the ones there that really got me going were non-avaialble bar staff. A few 'FL?' that I've been introduced to seemed OK, but I never tried.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Back in 2001, I was staying at the Grand President on Soi 11. My "straight" Thai friends asked me to dinner, and no matter how I tried to discourage them from picking me up, they insisted on calling for me at my hotel. The friend who invited me was the daughter of a Thai woman I knew from the States, a 70+ year old grandmother. Her daughter was a high-ranking administrator of a major nursing school (THE major nursing school), and pretty straight-laced.

She got caught in traffic, and missed the turn onto Soi 11, and ended up parking behind Clinton Plaza, where there were a couple of bars in the car park. She then walked all the way to the GP on Soi 11, which must have been an eye-opener for her. She left Grandma with the car, and finally showed up at the hotel. We walked back together, and by the time we got to the car, Grandma was out of the vehicle, surround by five or six bar girls, in bikinis and robes, laughing and carrying on. The girls were very respectful, and generally just enjoying themselves with this wise old woman. And Grandma was laughing and having a great time.

From that time, until today, we still kid her about being "Grandma a-go-go"...

She's 83 now, and still going strong in the US.

hs

An insightful tale indeed and the sort of thing that happens a lot I'd guess. I know of very well to do Thai families living in and around the lower Suk area and I doubt their eyes are closed. I'm sure for the most part it's a case of live and let live but when faced with a confrontation such as mentioned I think the shared common ancestry holds sway. Certainly the older ones have a much more pragmatic view than some of the younger ones but all in all I think they are more sophisticated on all levels than they might be given credit for some times.

• 4 weeks later...
Met a few people from this board at TLR my first trip, gone by the time I came back 9 months later.

I watched the renegade horde of Police and Army thugs thoroughly demolish the Soi Ten bar area(Where Chewit's park is now) the following January at 4am from the roof of the Miami.

Yup, moments in time... :drunk:

All gone. :shakehead

Archived