Geographical boundaries of Bangkok et al

ozpharlap

I am aware that an alien/foreigner may purchase a condominium in their own name (subject to the 51% usable floor space Thai ownership rule).

However, does anyone have a map or web reference as to where the Bangkok area ends?

Also, does anyone know the other towns/areas where alien/foreigner may purchase a condominium in their own name

Thanks for the advice however, I am quite sure that it does not apply country wide but I am happy to be corrected.

I was under the firm impression that it was just Bangkok, Pattaya, Ko Samui and Phuket.

I am unsure that the geographical boundaries to purchase condominiums are the same as the political boundaries.

ozpharlap,

http://www.thailand-lawyer.com/condo.html

This source states you're misinformed about only certain areas allowing foreigners to buy condos. It's allowed countrywide with the only restriction that max 49% of the total floorspace/units can be owned by 'aliens'.

Then there's the exception that 'some' condo projects in BKK don't have this restriction thus foreigners may buy up the whole building - this may be what's causing your mix up ;)

Anyway Bangkok proper is all the areas inside the borders with 'Metro' provinces of Nonthaburi, Pathum Thani, Samut Prakan, Samut Sakhon, Nakhon Pathom, Chachoengsao or something like that. Check gmaps whatever.

I'd say anything inside the outer ring road is 'bkk' while in fact it's not ;-)

Happy condo hunting!

• 3 weeks later...

The main requirement for a foreigner to buy & register a Thai condo in his own name is to import foreign currency (into a Thai account) having the note 'for condo purchase' & getting the bank of thailand receipt for it which the receiving bank should arrange for you. Then armed with that receipt registration of the condo in your name & a land title can be issued/transferred from land office in your name ;) Something like that.

Many 'legal firms' assisting foreigners list that process on their webs...

sure, but if buying a new condo from a trustworthy developer the builder who also is the seller are likely to do that reg. process for you eliminating much need of 3rd party legal assistance.

of course it helps if 'some trusted' Thai is there to assist as not all paperwork etc may be in English etc etc.

typically a 'purchase' is 3 step process of:

1) unit/condo reservation ~5-50k baht?

2) 1st/initial deposit/downpayment say 30%?

3) final payment & handover of the 'deed title' (most crucial step obviously)

Cheers!

Archived