Am I Thai'd Out?

doris day

Next year I have 2 months in Thailand and I keep think should I go for a side trip to Vietnam, Laos or Hong Kong. But I keep thinking I'm happy in Thailand. I have been to most place but I still think of Thailand.

In Thailand I can take a girl if I want or I can just have a holiday cheaper than most places in my country OZ or Overseas.

I just was to be somewhere where I'm comfortable that's not going to break the bank.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

im the same way, been going to Thailand since 1991, and in the last 10 years ive been saying i should go to Vietnam or Cambodia for at least a week outta my holiday. I am in LOS once maybe twice a year at best and still only go to Thailand, this year was close as im bringing a newbie with me, but Sept 10 im in LOS for a month and only LOS.... one of these days i will venture off, but for now i love my Thailand !!

If I have only a small amount of time (a week or two) its LOS and that's it. If I had a few months and enough money, I'd definitely 'venture off the reservation' into other parts of LOS, off the beaten track as well as other countries.

I've been thinking a lot about China recently. Vietnam has always held my imagination because my oldest brother was in the war there.

I've been to Cambo but that was to 'save' a friend. I got the chance to have some 'fun' while there but it wasn't my primary reason to going. While there I didn't feel easy about the place. Others have said they felt totally safe and at home. For the first time anywhere in Asia (and I've been to a few countries, Japan, Korea, etc.) I felt like I was back in Philly and in a neighborhood in another part of town. My 'radar' was up and I felt I had to be totally aware of my surroundings. Been years since I had that feeling.

I've been to Cambo but that was to 'save' a friend. I got the chance to have some 'fun' while there but it wasn't my primary reason to going. While there I didn't feel easy about the place. Others have said they felt totally safe and at home. For the first time anywhere in Asia (and I've been to a few countries, Japan, Korea, etc.) I felt like I was back in Philly and in a neighborhood in another part of town. My 'radar' was up and I felt I had to be totally aware of my surroundings. Been years since I had that feeling.

When have you been in Cambo?

I just stayed 10 days in PP and I got the impression, that the city got much more safe in the recent years. Even though I was still being search for weapons at two discos (Heart of Darkness and an exclusively Khmer place without any other Barangs). In 2004 PP still had a feel of 'anything goes' and danger after dark.

2006. I posted about it back then. Things may have changed by then. My 'spider senses' were tingling when I was there. I had a buddy along as well. He grew up in Watts (South Central LA) and the funny thing was we both thought the same thing and gave each other a "We're not in Kansas anymore" look.

China is on my radar though. All the reports have been good. :thumbup:

2006. I posted about it back then. Things may have changed by then. My 'spider senses' were tingling when I was there. I had a buddy along as well. He grew up in Watts (South Central LA) and the funny thing was we both thought the same thing and gave each other a "We're not in Kansas anymore" look.

China is on my radar though. All the reports have been good. :thumbup:

Interesting. On my first trip to LOS long time ago. No internet then.

I knew nothing about what goes on. Went to Papong in BKK and visited a few watering holes. After all bars closed. Standing outside. Some Thai guy walks up and asks if I want to go to another bar. I stated all bars closed. He stated there are 'private' bars. So like an idiot I followed down some dark allyways. And low and behold, no sign, just a door. And a wonderful active bar with lots of people. Had a good time for another couple hours. Don't know if I would do that today.

I went alone to Phom Penh a few years ago. I walked around both day and night. I didn't feel any kind of aprehension. I was sober, though, at all times. I hope to go back another trip.

Same in Saigon and Hanoi. No aprehension at all. In fact, I found the people more than friendly.

The only issue I had was Taxi driver trying to screw me with taxi fare from airport in Saigon. A cycle-taxi in Hanoi - again, tried to srew me on fare. I just walked into my hotel and asked receptionist what a fair price was. And she gave me a figure (in Hanoi) that was 90% lower than the cycle-taxi driver was asking. And that's what I paid.

Whether in Barcelona, Saigon, or Hanoi - the taxi drivers all seem to try to take advantage of 'rookies'.

A lot of guys say "they know LOS and Thai people" when they only talk to bar girls, taxi drivers and waitresses and never leave Sukhumvit or Walking Street in Pattaya.

That comment reminds me exactly of a guy I know in Brisbane. Sits with us, from time to time in a Thai restaurant in the valley area. One day he spits out the comment "People just don't get Thailand".

His MO is, that he works part time getting paid cash only, probably on the jam role as well, and saves up all his money for his next trip to Thailand. He lives quite frugally when in Australia, hardly eats (I think he likes to stay ultra slim and as he says, Thai girls love a flat stomach).

When he goes to Thailand, he stays only along the bar strips - Sukhumvit for a few days and then down to Pattaya (he states, cheaper accommodation, bar drinks, bar fines etc - so his bar girl sanook goes much further). Whenever he does a visa runs, this guy never spends more then a few minutes in the neighboring country for exploration or whatever.

In my opinin, that person does just not 'get it' but there seems to be many like that.

I have always found, if your prepared to wait a few days, go away from the main stream, Thai's swallow you up, they enjoy their time with you and a sweet Thai girl soon appears and then you're having a nice, wonderful true girlfriend experience within weeks, for that trip, and your next trip and so on.

I love Thailand. But really, there are only 3 reasons I can think of for a foreigner wanting to stay in Thailand.

1) fat expat package

2) leave the rat race and improve quality of life

3) get laid

Otherwise, Thailand is like a black hole.

Stop thinking so hard and enjoy the lovely fruits of being in the upper income bracket of a population. Of course, there is no free lunch and all those positives have to come at the expense of something. But really, what are the alternatives? In all my travels, I'd say Thailand gives you the best bang for your buck.

Me no kid mak.

Based on price & ease of availability, yes, Thailand is way up there. However, for quality Korea and Japan are my cup of tea - white skin, asian look, full volume breasts with slim waist and hips ... ohh la la

Full volume breasts in Japan? Maybe I was in the wrong city last week (Tokyo :content: ). If you are breast man, Cambodia is your - and my - country.

Nevertheless for ME quality of live is much higher in Japan. Also I prefer the looks of Japanese girls. But it is almost impossible to live on the cheap in Japan, especially in Tokyo/Osaka/Kyoto.

Archived