Clove Cigarettes

Soi11

Cigarettes containing tobacco and shredded cloves.

I was at the Crobar in Chicago in the late nineties, a little drunk --> I asked this cute girl across from me if I could bum a smoke. She said 'all I have are cloves,' and gave me one. It smelled good, kind of acrid taste. I was walking around and just about down to the filter when this guy in a polo shirt walks up and asks me where I got the opium. Ha.

It was loud in the bar and I tried to tell him "It's a Clove!, it's a clove~!" but he didn't understand. And he was persistent/annoying. He offered me $20 for the last couple hits, so I said sure -- took the cash, and chuckled. A little later he finds me and... 'dude, that was some good shit --> can you get anymore.' I smiled and tried to walk away but he kept being persistent again and will not stop hovering around me. So I say "Ok man, hold on a second."

Went back over to the girl and asked her for a couple more (we had a good little flirt going), no problem. I go back over to the guy, put the cloves in his hand, and wait to see what he's going to give me. He sticks 80 bucks in shirt pocket and thanks me ---> then asks for my number.

I gave him my ex-girlfriends number (a very evil woman) and told him to call me anytime he needed a hook-up.

I felt kinda bad about it later.

Kinda.

"What is terrible is not death but the lives people live or don't live up until their death. They don't honor their own lives, they piss on their lives."

-Bukowski

Around 1990ish, I worked in the Indonesian Consulate Building in LA. Everyone but me (Marlboro) smoked Kretecs and our little space of 4 offices and a conference room was smokier than any bar I've ever been to.

When California passed a law banning smoking in the workplace, we ignored it because 'HA! We're on sovereign property!' We were wrong, of course, and it took a new hire-bitch to make an issue of it, but that's another story. When they cleaned the walls of my office, prior to painting, I couldn't believe the streaks that revealed they used to be white. I always thought they were yellow.

Archived