Thai lethargy

khunsanuk

I can speak from first hand that moving a Thai to a western country (America) doesn't get rid of their lethargy. This past summer (school vacation) was the summer from hell for me. I couldn't get any of the three kids to even study Rosetta stone a couple of times a week, let alone read one book. Their favorite pastime was sleeping, followed by watching TV, the internet and playing Wii. We live about 2 blocks from the neighborhood pool but the boy wouldn't use it and the girls rarely used it. It seems that they didn't like the "cold" water (compared to Thailand). I took them to the local amusement park, World's of Fun, and they didn't like it. I don't think that I'll be taking them to Disneyworld anytime in the near future. They don't seem to get it; the sooner that they learn English, the easier school will be (and particularly the non English courses wil be. I gave them a "free pass" their first year here. I am pushing them to get involved with school activities but with no sucess. I will force them to attend at least one hiigh school football game. The only one that I have to make sure that he finishes his homework is the boy and I have made it clear that he must not get anything less than a "C" if I am going to buy him an airline ticket to Thailand next summer. However, if he fails a subject, I will buy him a one way ticket, and he knows this. Eventually, I will provide the 3 kids with a structure leading to graduating from college and a good job, or I'll die trying first. It would be nice if they got it on their own.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What makes such a difference?

The boy here is always up for a swim, but the local pool here is BKK is not so cold, most warm, but never hot.

I always challenge him...hey, I can do 50 sit ups, let's see what you can do, then he struggles to do three. 55555555555555

He does like his video games but I limit him as I am not a video game person at all. I did buy him a Wii and we do play the sport games, as it is OK for a little bit of exercise, but I get bored with it very quickly.

I also had the boy jogging on all his non-school days, instead of being glued to the TV.

All in all, I feel sorry for the Thai youth and the youth in the USA. At their age, I was building rafts and having "adventures" on the river and lakes in the area; fishing, swimming, riding my bike all over the place and we had our little "gang". It was fun and I think we got a good street level education.

Now, internet, video games...vastly different generation and times we live in.

• 2 weeks later...

"It almost seems like nobody wants to improve themselves or strive to do something new/better."

Quite agree with you. Than what to think about the foreigners fom a more dynamic bacground that choose this surrounding ? Can they be much of an example of someone striving to do something new/better ?

"My" household, no one is sleeping during the day but the TV is going like 24/7 (almost, except when they do sleep at night).

Book reading, one time I "banned" TV for a week...WHAT A RELIEF!!!

Many Thais in my office - "educated" and most earning north of 100,000 Baht a month - seriously believe that reading or thinking "too much" causes headaches and is generally bad for your health. I hear this all the time.

This seems to be changing with sine if the younger generation, but they are fighting an up hill battle against the prevailing wisdom. I guess this is the flip side to Thailand's charms.

Where as at ThaiCom under the old management there was a book a month given to all top managers to read - last one I got was "The wealth at the bottom of the Pyramid" interesting book on wealth creation for the very poor of poor.

As a former victim of London Underground one of the most obvious contrasts between that and the BTS/MRT is the almost complete absence of people reading. Can you ever imagine seeing in Bangkok a scene like this (sorry not allowed to post inline):

http://london-underground.blogspot.com/2008/05/reading-papers-on-london-underground.html

(I'm talking about the reading of papers and books, not necessarily the arse on that blonde...

:drool: )

I'd like to blame the constant background of the idiot boxes on the BTS, but I don't think it's any different on the MRT.

Archived