Thai lethargy

khunsanuk

Have you noticed on the toll way - the drivers form a long queue behind the gates directly in front leaving those to the left empty!

When they walk it's a shuffle - the feet barely leave the ground

A bit of a "oblivious to the obvious" and lethargy cross thread contamination occurring here methinks.

But I'll bite.

I just adore it when a taxi driver, faced with 4 lanes of traffic, all stopped at a red light, decides to join the lane which is the longest. He/She (but nearly always a he, actually the few female cab drivers I've met have usually been most adept) could go left, or right, thereby gaining an advantage at the red light, hastening the journey, but noooooooooooooo. Mindless lethargy ensues. You just trundle up behind the longest line of cars. If you're really lucky, the light will change before you get passed the goddamn thing....and further waiting will result. I have to bite down on my tongue at such times....as I watch the drivers in the shorter queues drive off in the distance....

I learnt the Thai phrase for "time is money" (asked my lady) just for such moments. Thus far the cab drivers treated by my limited Thai skills have looked bewildered, unable to connect my utterance with their job/responsibility. It favours them to get rid of me and onto the next customer!!!!!!! Imbeciles. Lethargic ones.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

I know you are just making fun (and no problem with that :) ), but to a taxi driver adding 15-20 Baht to his daily take can actually be quite a bit of money. Keep in mind there's a good chance he doesn't make much more than 200-300 Baht/day.

Sanuk!

PS Yes, just speculating for argument's sake. I have really no idea what goes on inside the head of your average BKK taxi driver (and thank God for that :) )

Guest lazyphil

ks they seem pretty lethargic in cold climates...i prefer to say layed back, alot do work but even they on years of making visits to various residents of thais they seem quite 'floppy'... :surprised:

Hi,

School holidays (again!), so the kids are both home and guess what they are up to?

The little girl (12) finds out that the Internet is too slow to watch youtube videos and seeing there is nothing on TV just returns to her bedroom to sleep.

The boy (18) turned on the PS3 for literally 2 minute, loads up one game and turns it off without playing. Returns to watching TV, inevitably falls asleep minutes later. Wakes up after about 30 minutes only to get up, walk to his bedroom and fall down on his bed to continue sleeping.

When I was their age the thought of sleeping during the day never even occurred to me. Always way too much to do.

I wonder if it is just the kids (or should I say 'the Thais' as my wife and her niece are just as bad) in my house that are so lethargic? Doubt it though as it seems sleeping is a national past-time here. Hell, I've seen plenty of resumes that had sleeping listed as a hobby!

It's sad though to see an entire country so lethargic. It almost seems like nobody wants to improve themselves or strive to do something new/better.

I mean, name me one Thai Nobel prize winner? One Thai invention? One Thai movie star or musician of world fame?

Anyway, just ranting a bit to see the kids waste their lives away and not knowing what to do about it. Tried buying books, encouraging them to take up sports, etc. but all to no avail. The boy isn't too bad, at least he is out and about most of the day, fishing, playing football, etc. The girl though watches TV and youtube clips, or sleeps. Period.

Sanuk!

"My" household, no one is sleeping during the day but the TV is going like 24/7 (almost, except when they do sleep at night).

Book reading, one time I "banned" TV for a week...WHAT A RELIEF!!!

I took the boy (12 y.o.) and had him pick out a book, turned out he chose one about the human body, quite a good book and he did read it!

If no TV, the tee rak will putt-putt around the house, cooking, but never sleeping during the day.

I guess YMMV applies with this situation.

Archived