Thai lethargy

khunsanuk

Hi,

School holidays (again!), so the kids are both home and guess what they are up to?

The little girl (12) finds out that the Internet is too slow to watch youtube videos and seeing there is nothing on TV just returns to her bedroom to sleep.

The boy (18) turned on the PS3 for literally 2 minute, loads up one game and turns it off without playing. Returns to watching TV, inevitably falls asleep minutes later. Wakes up after about 30 minutes only to get up, walk to his bedroom and fall down on his bed to continue sleeping.

When I was their age the thought of sleeping during the day never even occurred to me. Always way too much to do.

I wonder if it is just the kids (or should I say 'the Thais' as my wife and her niece are just as bad) in my house that are so lethargic? Doubt it though as it seems sleeping is a national past-time here. Hell, I've seen plenty of resumes that had sleeping listed as a hobby!

It's sad though to see an entire country so lethargic. It almost seems like nobody wants to improve themselves or strive to do something new/better.

I mean, name me one Thai Nobel prize winner? One Thai invention? One Thai movie star or musician of world fame?

Anyway, just ranting a bit to see the kids waste their lives away and not knowing what to do about it. Tried buying books, encouraging them to take up sports, etc. but all to no avail. The boy isn't too bad, at least he is out and about most of the day, fishing, playing football, etc. The girl though watches TV and youtube clips, or sleeps. Period.

Sanuk!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Curiosity. They appear to lack that gene. Not all, but a lot.

They are also a highly unmotivated bunch. It seems sometimes they do things because they feel they have to, but their heart isn't in it, like studying for example.

Families looking after you no matter how little you achieve, hardly good to get a person off their ass, may feature somewhere in the mix.

Finally, no ability to see how what you do today can benefit your tomorrow. The cause and effect concept.

I've met Thai's who didn't fit the above, but I'd say they are in the minority. The pressure cooker culture of the west is absent here at the moment. I guess it's going to arrive one day. It will be quite a shock for many. I'm certainly not advocating western cultural norms by the way....

It could be worse........they could sit in front of a computer all day and just wait for someone to post something so they can respond.

Seriously, I enjoyed being lazy on my holidays from school but it didn't last long. Always had friends that were up to something or my parent's would always find me something to do when I was still at home. Kick 'em in the tail, KS. Give them a project.

Just maybe it is the heat? Hot as hell here in Surin the past week. They are a tropical people. Most peoples from hot climates siesta during the hottest part of the day. Northern European stock are a different breed really. Mad dogs and Englishmen out in the noonday sun. ;) They think us mad. We think them lazy. Genetic predispositions really. Active people get heatstroke in the equatorial sun and heat. Active people in the colder zones do not freeze to death. 555555. People die from heatstroke, early enough and they don't pass on their genes. The genetic pool tends toward the survivor characteristics. Inactive people died from freezing in the nothern climes (and from lack of fuels/food to stoke the body furnace - hence the 'work ethic' touted by so many Euro peoples as proof of their 'superiority'). Equatorial peoples had an easier time and spent less time getting their foods/fuel. Didn't take a rocket scientist intelligence to figure out how to walk out of the hut and pick some bananas and mangoes.

Modern day peoples still hold true to their genetic predispostions, predispostions that made survival more likely in earlier times.

Buy them some central AC for the house and watch them perk up. :content: 5555555.

Just maybe it is the heat? Hot as hell here in Surin the past week. They are a tropical people. Most peoples from hot climates siesta during the hottest part of the day. Northern European stock are a different breed really. Mad dogs and Englishmen out in the noonday sun. ;) They think us mad. We think them lazy. Genetic predispositions really. Active people get heatstroke in the equatorial sun and heat. Active people in the colder zones do not freeze to death. 555555. People die from heatstroke, early enough and they don't pass on their genes. The genetic pool tends toward the survivor characteristics. Inactive people died from freezing in the nothern climes (and from lack of fuels/food to stoke the body furnace - hence the 'work ethic' touted by so many as proof of their 'superiority'). Equatorial peoples had an easier time and spent less time getting their foods/fuel. Didn't take a rocket scientist intelligence to figure out how to walk out of the hut and pick some bananas and mangoes.

Modern day peoples still hold true to their genetic predispostions, predispostions that made survival more likely in earlier times.

Buy them some central AC for the house and watch them perk up. :content: 5555555.

You'll just get the complaints. Wont stop them sleeping. Anyway, your theory sounds great, except for in the cooler evenings they are still just as lethargic.

Buy this book by Jared Diamond: 'Guns, Germs and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies'. Best book I've read to date explaining the differences in human populations around the globe.

They have it on Amazon for about ten bucks. Give it a read: http://www.amazon.com/Guns-Germs-Steel-Fates-Societies/dp/0393317552

Not aimed at anyone in particular. But a good book on this topic. :content:

Hi,

Nah, don't think it has anything to do with the heat as they are like this all day long; morning, afternoon and evening. Season doesn't seem to impact it either.

As for AC, I wish, just not an option in my house; it's too open and I'd be providing AC for half the neighborhood.

Sanuk!

Archived