Trouble in Thailand Part 2.

chuckwoww

I'm actually not saying everyone who says it's fake condones scams. Some, sure. This seems like one of those things different people can latch onto for their own different reasons and rationales. But it does seem like it's definitely got some built-in xenophobic issues it tugs at, as seen from both sides. So I guess I don't see that as 'isolated' reactions, but more how certain kinds of people act in certain situations. And yes, I admit I do find that interesting. To me that's more interesting than looking for issues with the media. Not saying that's not a legitimate thing to be interested in, just that I'm more interested in another angle. But there again -- it's interesting to each of us for different reasons.

Heh heh, maybe I came back to this because I never got to give my own take on What JJ was thinking. ;) Wait, did you say 'if you're not interested in the JJ episode why do you keep coming back to it?' to me? What?!? No way. I think that was the best and most intereting episode by far. You must be referring to something someone else said, or forgot my own previous obsession with the JJ episode. ;)

re that we all know about the jetski scam -- actually I didn't until I saw this. Maybe most tourists who go to Phuket also don't. If you think about it, thanks to this, a heck of a lot more people now do. That seems like a positive development to me.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm going back to the beginning....it was on another thread. I was immediately suspicious about the JJ incident. I think I said it was fake but later amended that to 'edited'. It took a while but the truth came out and I was right. You, if I remember correctly, chose to see that as a defence of JJ.

Anyway you're right. There's plenty of xenophobia involved. I think it comes back to the old argument about farang interfering in Thai affairs. That one will probably never get resolved.

As for your summary I think the scams are constantly evolving to match the stupidity.

Right. Not so much that I 'chose' to see it as a defense, more that that was the direction I thought you were coming from -- though after you explained I saw that was wrong.

I think part of the problem is when someone says "it" or "they" -- generalizing, which can be understood to mean a broader it or they than intended, that's when these kinds of mixups/misinterpretations often happen. Everyone does it, me too. Human nature I think. Like you wanted to say that you sensed it wasn't as it appeared in some ways, I took that to mean the whole thing was acted and not real at all and that JJ wasn't really a scammer.

I didn't realize there was another forum thread (diff forum) with the director taking part in discussion. I might go check that one out.

Archived