Trouble in Thailand Part 2.

chuckwoww

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like for the JJ scene, he only says that the audio of the marines' reaction after JJ came out with the gun was faked. That's what the article you sent says. What it does not say is that the scene was faked.

There seems to be a strong desire here on the part of some that this not be real. That's interesting. Why is that.

There seems to be a strong desire here on the part of some that this not be real. That's interesting. Why is that.

You ask an excellent question. But not just about this incident, but plenty of others.

Same pattern with other reports or comments that are or might be considered "negative" about any aspect of Thailand. And it is true that legitimate questions can be raised about many of these reports, but I also don't understand the immediate and almost automatic push back that often does no more than divert and misdirect attention from fundamental recurring issues here. Why?

Right. It's weird. A bit tiring to read. I mean, I'm pretty sure JJ is a scammer, based on what I saw. And that the jet ski scam is prevalent down there. The reason the Thais themselves would want to wish-think it away is obvious: it's embarrassing. Why a bunch of foreigners here would dive in, to me that's strange.

Similar thing happens with political discussions here from what I see -- people put on their partisan blindness goggles. Their side's all right, the other side all wrong. As I see it, both sides are pretty hopeless.

Depends what you mean by fake I guess. To me JJ and his Jetskis aren't particularly interesting. For some reason JJ allowed himself to be filmed scamming some marines. What does interest me is so-called Reality TV and how clever editing can distort an event to make it more sensational and entertaining.

It's also interesting that Gavin Hill now feels guilty because JJ has been charged with threatening the marines with a gun. He blames Vera, the production company. It's probably made it hard for him to get back into Thailand.

. To me JJ and his Jetskis aren't particularly interesting. For some reason JJ allowed himself to be filmed scamming some marines. What does interest me is so-called Reality TV...

Odd. I thought this was a forum about issues relating to Thailand and, more particularly, the experiences of foreigners in Thailand. If so, discussions about whether foreigners are getting scammed in Thailand and how they are getting scammed would seem to be particularly on point.

"For some reason JJ allowed himself to be filmed scamming some marines." Hmmm...why might that happen? Perhaps because it so routine here that he simply couldn't imagine that anyone would find it "particularly interesting"?

Odd. I thought this was a forum about issues relating to Thailand and, more particularly, the experiences of foreigners in Thailand. If so, discussions about whether foreigners are getting scammed in Thailand and how they are getting scammed would seem to be particularly on point.

"For some reason JJ allowed himself to be filmed scamming some marines." Hmmm...why might that happen? Perhaps because it so routine here that he simply couldn't imagine that anyone would find it "particularly interesting"?

Not odd at all. The title of this thread is Big Trouble in Thailand. The discussion has progressed from the scam angle (which got pretty boring) to a more interesting discussion about Reality TV and how cameras affect people's behaviour.

You obviously aren't keeping up. Allow me to recommend the thread on ThaiVisa (where Gavin Hill and Howard Miller have some interesting things to say), Andrew Drummond's blog, tfs2m and several other sites if you really want to keep up with the debate.

Of course if you have something new to say about scams in Thailand that would be interesting too.

Archived