Tell me this is a joke the BBC have fallen for...

Tyfon

According to the Swedish newspapers "Aftonbladet" and "Expressen" it's not a joke. My guess is that the decision was based on the fact that he replaced a low life scum rather than what he actually accomplished.

Comment: absurd decision on Obama makes a mockery of the Nobel peace prize

The award of this year’s Nobel peace prize to President Obama will be met with widespread incredulity, consternation in many capitals and probably deep embarrassment by the President himself.

Rarely has an award had such an obvious political and partisan intent. [color:red]It was clearly seen by the Norwegian Nobel committee as a way of expressing European gratitude for an end to the Bush Administration, approval for the election of America’s first black president and hope that Washington will honour its promise to re-engage with the world.[/color]

Instead, the prize risks looking preposterous in its claims, patronising in its intentions and demeaning in its attempt to build up a man who has barely begun his period in office, let alone achieved any tangible outcome for peace.

There is a further irony in offering a peace prize to a president whose principal preoccupation at the moment is when and how to expand the war in Afghanistan.

The spectacle of Mr Obama mounting the podium in Oslo to accept a prize that once went to Nelson Mandela, Aung San Suu Kyi and Mother Theresa would be all the more absurd if it follows a White House decision to send up to 40,000 more US troops to Afghanistan. However just such a war may be deemed in Western eyes, Muslims would not be the only group to complain that peace is hardly compatible with an escalation in hostilities.

The Times

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've never paid much attention to the peace prize. I always assumed it was deserving. I lost respect for it when it was awarded to Jimmy Carter for what I perceived for his being an outspoken Bush critic.

Some can claim it was his lifelong work for charity and fair elections but it was too much of a coincidence that he was awarded it after publicly criticizing Bush. Maybe that was not what the decision was based on but its still my held belief it was.

I voted for Obama but I view the award as undeserving. Its a political decision and he is not deserving considering so many more worthy candidates.

That said, I won't castigate Obama. He didn't lobby for it or look for it. If they awarded me the award, I'd say its not deserved but who would turn it down? It may end up doing more harm than good to Obama. I hope not. If any good comes out of it, I hope it gives him the capital to do some good.

Its the Nobel committee NOT Obama that is deserving of enmity for politicizing the award.

I voted for Obama but I view the award as undeserving. Its a political decision and he is not deserving considering so many more worthy candidates.

Agreed, I had the impression that the Nobel price for peace is usually awarded to people with extraordinary achievements in regard to peace.

Of course becoming the first black president (and doing this without coming from a powerful and rich family) is an extraordinary achievement, but he is still a president at war and he hasn't changed anything in the Middle East or in other critical regions of the earth.

The award is at least 5-10 years too early.

I guess it depends how people feel about Dubya’s wars. Were they necessary or not? A lot of people think he went to war for the heck of it. Obama has inherited those wars so he can go one way or the other. That’s what he has to decide now. My feeling is that the Pentagon and the Defence Industry are too big for any president to handle.

Archived