Any good jazz bars in BKK?

dave32

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"The Living Room" at the Sukumvit Sheraton Grande Hotel should be your first stop... If you are there on the right night, talk to Randy Cannon, the pianist, when they take a break.. Fantastic Jazz Pianist, nice guy and probably the best person in Bangkok to learn where the best Jazz Musicians are currently playing....

Pianoman

Saxophone club used to be pretty good some years ago. Anyone know if it still is?

Just there at Saxaphone's a couple of weeks ago. GREAT 'big band' band doing some really good music. The singer was awesome (a bit of a Harry Connick Jr. clone with a mix of Sinatra). Awesome sax solos, 3 saxaphones, 2 trumpet players that were excellent, the bass player was fantastic. I had a great time there and recommend it for a few hours on a night out. Right near Victory Monument and easy to find and get to. Good beers as well on tap. I will definitely go back there next time in BKK.

Nice crowd, the band was friendly and accessible to talk/chat to between sets (nice guys), good atmosphere and a funky jazzy decor.

Also want to try out Brown Sugar next time down. Also in the Victory Monument area. Anyone been to Brown Sugar recently?

Good input.

Spent the afternoon (4pm in LA, making it 6am tomorrow in BKK) running searches -- already a little juiced about the upcoming trip.

The Overtone Music Cave (RCA) and the Saxophone bar (victory monument BTS). Shitload of literature on these places. I'll be there. That is all.

Tokyo Joes, looks like it's running -- from a quick search: "Joe's has moved from their old Soi 24 location to their new Soi 26 location." Walking distance. I'll be dropping in here too (if it's not closed).

Brown Sugar - a lot of fucking solid reviews and it's right at Lumpini; since I spent a large chunk of my daytime hours in that area on my last trip -- this is a good thing. I won't get lost. Again.

And The Living Room at the Sheraton Grande - I'm staying on Soi 18 and Suk, christ that's right across the street, and they have a Sunday swing brunch. (The evening shows look a bit pricey, but I'm going to start with the brunch and take it from there).

Excited just planning this shit out.

So gratzi.

Ps. Brick Bar at Khao San road got mentioned a few times as I was reading up on the other places, Evidently good horns there with a ska/reggae twist. That's on the list too.

Pps. In June I was sitting at Big Dogs with a lovely petite HOT ASS young woman on my arm and a couple ex-pats next to me struck up a conversation. Kind of elder statesmen ex-pats, both articulate and thoughtful, full of good insight. Appreciated their company. They recommended the Saxophone bar, never made it last time, this time...

have mercy .

Archived