Windows 7 Is Out

Hamokhamok

Heeeeelp!!!

Bought laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium installed.

Contacted our IT service provider to get them to do the business so that I can access my work emails while travelling (off to Jordan again on Sunday). They set it up remotely on my previous laptop.

They advise that I need Windows 7 Professional to do that.

I try to download an upgrade but this proves not as easy as I expected so I go out and buy Windows 7 Professional full version and try to install it.

However it would appear that I have to completely replace my current Windows 7 with the new Windows 7 and this would result in me losing all my programs and having to reinstall them. But obviously being a new pc I don't have program discs so can I simply save all the programs to an external hard drive and then reinstall them after I have installed the new Windows 7? Is it as simple as that?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is this the procedure you tried?

#

1. Turn on your computer so that Windows starts normally. (To perform an upgrade, you can't start, or boot, your computer from the Windows 7 installation media.)

#

2. After Windows has started, do one of the following:

If you downloaded Windows 7, browse to the installation file you downloaded, and then double-click it.

If you have a Windows 7 installation disc, insert the disc into your computer. Setup should start automatically. If it doesn't, click the Start button Picture of the Start button, click Computer, double-click your DVD drive to open the Windows 7 installation disc, and then double-click setup.exe.

If you've downloaded Windows 7 installation files onto a USB flash drive, insert the drive into your computer. Setup should start automatically. If it doesn't, click the Start button Picture of the Start button, click Computer, double-click the drive, and then double-click setup.exe.

#

3. On the Install Windows page, click Install now.

#

4. On the Get important updates for installation page, we recommend getting the latest updates to help ensure a successful installation and to help protect your computer against security threats. You need an Internet connection to get installation updates.

#

5. On the Please read the license terms page, if you accept the license terms, click I accept the license terms, and then click Next.

#

6. On the Which type of installation do you want? page, click Upgrade to begin the upgrade. You might see a compatibility report.

Archived