Is this why many Thai drivers are crap?

khunsanuk

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I drive around in and near the wife's village and have ventured further afield to Lopburi and Ayudhya without a licence...only got pinged once and the copper waved me on because neither he or any of his men could speak English. My wife and a couple of friends pretended not to know how to speak English. The cop was really pissed but did not want to lose face. In the village they don't give a rats bum about licences or little things like seatbelts. :yay::chili::beer::wanker:

Have an accident (easy to do): No license, no insurance = fucked

Not very different from how its done in the US (which also breeds crappy drivers by the way): I took my US drivers license in less than an hour: super easy and shitty theoretical test followed by less than 5 minutes on a straight road.

I also got a motorcycle license while in the US: I took it over the weekend and the entire training and licensing took place in a parking lot(!) I left with a license but not with the confidence of being able to drive in traffic. Oh and the other students showed up for class on their own race bikes...

See, not so different from Thailand after all.

In Sweden though where I am from (and I imagine in most of north-western EU), it's far more rigid and the theoretical test is actually a real test which tests real knowledge and the practical test will test you on a broad range of skills and in different types of traffic... Took me a year to get a license back there.

It's easy to "hate" on Thailand but Thais just make worse what is already bad elsewhere...

See, not so different from Thailand after all.

In Sweden though where I am from (and I imagine in most of north-western EU), it's far more rigid and the theoretical test is actually a real test which tests real knowledge and the practical test will test you on a broad range of skills and in different types of traffic... Took me a year to get a license back there.

Yup, in Germany it's expensive (ca. 2.000 EUR) and needs some learning to get the drivers license: mandatory theory classes and around 20-25 hours driving practice with a teacher...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Well, the kid just got his driving license (2nd attempt) after 7 1-hr lessons on a bloody parking place.

3 more 1-hr lessons left which he'll be using to actually drive in traffic.

Luckily for other drivers in BKK, my wife and I know that there is no way in hell he is proficient enough to drive yet, so he'll get another 10 hrs first. Then the misses intends to take him around a few times herself in areas with not that much traffic.

I wonder how many people will just not bother with anymore lessons though and just start driving now they have the license.

Sanuk!

PS Ask a Thai driver about 'right of way'? From what I understand most have no concept of what it means.

Archived