Is this why many Thai drivers are crap?

khunsanuk

Flash, I assume you had to take both the written and practical test because you did not have valid license from the US to show you knew how to drive?

TH

My US license had expired. Nevertheless, I was an archan at a name university. That obviously didn't count, since I was a foreigner. :dunno:

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi,

"Even that allows untrained drivers on the road though."

Right, but I'd say using a learner's permit would be the right way to do it. Especially if you also mark the cars in some way so other drivers will know the driver of said car is not yet fully licensed.

Sanuk!

Such as this - (with L symbol on front and back of the car).

This is exactly why Thai drivers are so bad.

The vast majority "learn" to drive by going around an "obstacle course" set up by their "driving school" which is exactly the same layout as they are required to complete when they take the actual "Test".

Having paid for their "lessons" and passed the Test they walk (or drive!) out with a valid Licence - never even having seen pedestrians crossing in front of their car, another vehicle coming towards them, much less one in front which they have to pass etc. etc..

Paul

Just another inferior educational/training program.

They implement the program only to say "the are doing like the West"...

I just don't believe they really correlate learning proper driving techniques/methods and better drivers/less accidents..

I don't believe they are taught intuitive, instinctive and anticipation methodology so I blame the driving schools/instructors...

Passing on blind curves and high speed tail-gating, you ask where the common sense is? These two frequent, observed behaviors jump out at me in addition to 345 others that I have on my list of poor driving behaviors..

Darwinism at its best; unfortuantely, true victims are taken as well..

Throw in lack of enforcement though I don't think that is the cure until proper quality training is implemented and then proper quality training for those who are going to enforce it. The second step is worthless unless enforcement training is completed and done correctly...

You are talking about things that are not in the cultural mind-set of Thais..

CB

Thinking back...how about the USA 80 years ago, maybe the drivers were also terrible?

The drivers in China are terrible, but I see the new Chinese generation drivers improved!

Maybe the Thais just need time and hopefully the Thai gov will start a driver education program in the schools.

... Especially if you also mark the cars in some way so other drivers will know the driver of said car is not yet fully licensed...

Wouldn't a blanket assumption that 50% of all Thai drivers, are not yet fully licensed, do?

:neener::neener:

Coss

Archived