The Bargirl Look

Sarisin

One thing I like about reading Stickman's Weekly Column is that he provides excellent topics for discussion. And, what better place to do the discussing than...here.

This week he mentioned that he saw a number of bargirls on a flight to Phuket. I'm not sure if he knew they were bargirls or just assumed they were because they had - The Bargirl Look.

So, what is The Bargirl Look?

It used to be you could spot a Thai girl dressed all slutty, say in tight black pants or maybe a short, short mini-skirt. A spaghetti-strapped top that looks a bit small and exposes her navel. Or, maybe a tube top that displays her assets well.

Yep, that's a bargirl there. Right?

Ah, maybe not. I take out an assortment of straight ladies and they often dress similarly. And, they have never set foot in a bar.

What about a tatoo or a piercing? Yeah, only bargirls have those, correct? Incorrect. One of the straight ladies I take out has her lovely belly button pierced and a diamond stud peeks out from that space between the top of her skirt and the bottom of her spaghetti-string top. Then, there are those temporary tatoos that many non-bargirls think are cool.

I have heard a few Thai girls say that only bargirls 'paint' their toenails. True? No again.

Finally, how about when you see a Thai girl walking hand-in-hand, arm-in-arm with a farang male? Bargirl again? Not really. How about me and my straight girl date?

All stereotyping here, sure. But, what is The Bargirl Look? I am obviously talking here about when they aren't on stage strutting their stuff around a pole.

Oh, and Mr. Stickman, feel free to tell us how you knew they were bargirls on that plane.

Another great column, my friend.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it looks like a duck, and it walks like a duck, and it quacks like a duck, then I call it a duck. smile.gif

BGs also have a certain street-smart savviness that they project, also, that I pick up on. That's part of it, too, I'm sure, The Look combined with The Attitude.

At one time we called it generation GAP!!!!

I guess now wearing pants that could fit someone with 200 more pounds and only come up to the knee with the underwear showing is cool...... Tatoo's are cool (not) unless you play professional basketball.... Trend is the word I guess we are looking for!!! No one really accepts change easy.

I think its very hard to tell bar girls these days. Lots of girls have tatoos now, you only have to look at some thai teen and pop magazines. Tattoos are very fashionable and lots of girls have them. But if the tattoo is a farang name like " John or Steve or Gunter" etc it would be fairly safe bet shes a bargirl !! Like wise with the dress . Thailand has changed so much over the last 10 yrs or so, Thai girls used to be so conservatively dressed but now it seems overtly sexy dress is the style .

OK if shes got the " Triumph " belt buckle, top with "Decollatage" written across the front and "Robert" tattoo'd across her left breast there wouldnt be much doubt but generally speaking I think its its getting very hard to tell.

I agree that it can be hard to tell and you really don't know if some one is a BG or not, especially with the young ones. If you see a TG dressed this way and she looks like she is on the upper side of 20 or more, chances are she is a BG. But for the young ones, 18-25 or so, you really cannot tell, unless you see them in the bar.

I spent much time waiting for planes at airports and was truly surprised at Dong Muang last week (terminal 2) by the cheer number of ladies with the Bargirl Look walking around. A minority of these ladies were even checking in, mostly accompanied by not really better looking farangs. Did they just marry their BG?

Altough I might sound to be stereotyping, I do not see this type of lady in other airports. Just my 2 satang worth of thought.

This is one of my favorite past-times to do in Bangkok during the day. Now is she or isn't she? I have gooten pretty good over the months and years.

It is much easier to tell who is then who isn't. There are the obvious ones, beer bar-types, gogos ones and even the low-class hostesses. It is a wednesday afternoon and she isn't in an uniform of some type wandering around aimlessly or should we say killing time. What is much trickier are the ones with have regular jobs and dress conservatively or even university students. These are the part-timers who moonlight once or twice in a given time period. Also, harder types to tell are which girls are the ones who work the high class places on ratchada. These girls seem to be a little better educated, more poise and carries themselves in a more dignified way. You get them out in a shopping mall environment, and I have found it is pretty much impossible to distinguish them from their look alike peers who are in fact, not. It's really a crap shoot on whether these types are or are not.

Oh, so much fun......

Cardinalblue

Archived