Leaving Thailand

New Petchburi Pete

I cannot believe that I am writing this, that is the following words: "I am leaving Thailand and returning to the United States."

Most (especially newbies) won't know me; but, I've been around for almost 10 years. Many may remember me as "New Petchburi Pete," my 'board' name back when I lived in Bangkok. I used to attend some of the meetings at Woodstock and then Gulliver's. I know the meeting place was moved some time ago to escape what became the 'farang ghetto.' Maybe I'll get to drop into the new meeting place (name and directions greatly appreciated) if time allows. There's one thing there never seems to be enough of ... time.

A while back (? couple of months ago) I had some communication with K.S. who is a terrific gentleman. Through this forum, and especially the old one - (can I mention NanaPlaza.com?) I met some of the finest farangs I came to know in Thailand.

I forgot my password (again) for 'Wetass," which I thought my was newest login name. I tried 'New Petchburi Pete' and it logged me in as 'Lowjit' a name I adopted after truly becoming logit after moving to Pattaya. Bangkok and Pattaya can do this to you. Don't be ashamed if it should happen to do so.

I'm one of those guys who broke all the 'rules' as outlined in 'Private Dancer.'

I married just about the first gal I met when I arrived in BKK. Sure we experienced some tough times, some of them almost resulting in disaster.

But I followed Deepak Chopra's advice: "From Adversity We Shall Derive Strength. It sounds paradoxically absurd. But, it worked for me and for our family. We have a terrific 6 (7 next March) year old son. We are still happily married. Looking back over my life, I will readily admit that my Thai wife is 'the best thing that ever happened to me.'

My health was poor when I arrived in Thailand, and I was on the rebound. I've had heart problems since an early age. I was 50 when I married my wife. She has just turned 18. 'Yes,' I felt like I died and went to Heaven. But, I had a few flings as it's hard for a Bostonian to adjust to life in Bangkok. We survived.

The reason why we are leaving Thailand and moving to the U.S. is that I have a form of leukemia and I don't have health insurance in LOS.

Hopefully, with the right treatment I'll survive another decade, maybe two, that is, if I survive the treatment!

'Yes,' I am an optimist. When it's cloudy, I always seem to see the silver lining. The type of leukemia I have is chronic, CLL, or chronic lymphocytic leukemia. I was officially diagnosed with this when I returned to Boston for two heart surgeries in 2007. But, most likely, according to blood tests (sky high white cell counts) it was there when I had neck surgery in Boston in 2005. I left town before the doctors iinvestigated. The blood and bone marrow cancer is malignant with no cure in sight. But, it is treatable, although some do not survive the treatment. I weighed that into our decision. I'll take the risks fully aware of the consequences.

I did OK for two years; but, now the exhaustion is so extreme, I don't get to get out enough or do things I enjoy. I still try the most of each day no matter how I feel. But, I can no longer deny that I am not enjoying Thailand enough. There are too many days when I simply can't get out. Hence, the decision to move back as much as I love Thailand. Foe those who don't know it, there are quite a few decent places nearby Pattaya.

We were lucky to sell our home in Pattaya in this depressed market (slight profit too!). The deed was transferred today. We also sold our Toyota to the guy who bought the house. And, he's such a nice gent (Swede), he's letting us remain in the house until time to go. The house was sold completely furnished to reduce shipping expenses. I even threw my computer in. Expat put the system together for me and I will really miss it.

I was willing to stay and accept a shorter life; but, my wife wanted a chance to live in the States, work and become a citizen. Getting her an Immigrant Visa with Permanent Residency Status was a breeze.

Education and future opportunity for our son of course was also a very important consideration.

What's amazing is that with the economic crisis in the States, we might actually be able to purchase a home in the U.S. We considered Arizona, but my wife couldn't deal with the idea of living in a desert. So, we will probably to end up in Florida. My wife's nickname means rain and I'm sure we'll see plenty of that in Florida. She also loves gardening. She spends hours searching through sites like Realtor.com and Trulia. When she spots Papaya trees growing in FL she really gets excited. Our hope is to be near enough Tampa to visit the Thai Buddhist temple there where they have outdoor feasts on Sundays. The food is made by Thais. Apparently, there are a lot in/around Tampa.

I love Thailand. I quit drinking and the bar scene years ago. Thailand is a wonderful country to live in and to holiday in for those so inclined. I learned much here, humility probably the most significant.

I came to know and love many regular Thais who I will dearly miss. But, I have many wonderful memories that I shall always cherish. I've got to say that when the plane leaves Bangkok, there's sure to be a tear or two rolling down my cheek.

I could tell you a million stories. I'm tempted to list the 'dos' and 'dont's;' but, I don't have the time and energy to do that. Besides the learning process is an adventure, and I don't want to spoil that for anyone.

My best advice: enjoy it while you can and live each day as if it may be your last. Listen, watch and learn. Be kind to those less fortunate and delve a bit into Buddhism, no matter what Faith you have, even if none. Never met anyone who can't benefit from meditation and it's relaxing benefits.

Acceptance of what you have no control is critical.

Never allow anything that doesn't go as expected to ruin your day. Look for that silver lining in the clouds. Believe me, it is there if you learn to recognize it.

Do I have any regrets? I suppose I could say that I wish I had made it to Angkor Wat and a few other places. I enjoyed so much and 'yes,' I will miss Thailand. Maybe I'll go into remission with therapy and get to remain. Never believe that all doors are closed. The ones before your eyes may be; but, others that you haven't even though of are out there, many of them just enough to at least get your foot in. Find them, step through and experience all the pleasures and learning experiences life has to offer. Learn to take the good with the bad ... it's just life.

OK ... enough time on the soapbox. I'll wrap it up with a simple "Ckok dee."

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pete - will miss you - haven't seen you for a few years - but think of you - especially when I get spam!

I think best idea - especially for your wife and son - he'll have a great career in grid iron if he hasn't changed form - strongest kid I've ever met,

All the best to you and your family -

CTO

Hi,

Pete, sorry to hear about your health problems and sorry to see you go. Would be great if we could catch up once more before you go back to the US (we're meeting in Bradman's on Soi 23 nowadays, although the meetings are not nearly what they were).

Anyway, all the best!

Sanuk!

Good luck and God bless. Hopefully you've got medicare ... which we can't use in LOS. :cussing:

Docs have made a lot of advances with leukemia, so hopefully you'll be around a lot longer. Look on the internet and you can find the spices your Mrs needs for Thai cooking. You can also log onto Thai radio stations and listen to them through your computer. Do keep in touch and let us know how things are going.

Bradman's is where the reprobates gather these days. It's on the soi at the eastern end of Cowboy. Easy enough to find. Just go upstairs and look for a group of Peter Pan's lost boys. :)

(They'll be the ones who aren't talking Strine.)

I haven't made a meeting in months, since it's a long way across town for me. I need to get the energy to make it one of these Fridays. (Anyone got some pep pills I can borrow? :hmmm: )

Archived