Cousin coming, some questions

khunsanuk

Hi,

A cousin of mine is coming to Thailand this Sunday with her 3-4 year old son and while I've been able to sort a lot of stuff out already, I still have some questions.

I think the biggest problem is her budget, she has about 140,000 Baht for four months! I think she's spent too much time reading the LP and is now convinced she can stay in 150 Baht guesthouses.

She'll be in BKK for the first month and I got that covered (found 2 serviced apartments in my area for about 11-12K/month), but could use some suggestions on cheap accommodation in Chiang Mai. She also wants to do a jungle trek when in CM, and suggestions on that would be welcome as well - keeping in mind that she is a young woman traveling with a small child. (Yeah, I know :rolleyes: )

Then a visa question. She's coming in on a 30 day visa on entry. Can those be extended in BKK?

Oh, I assume border crossing with Cambodia is still okay? Anybody crossed over recently?

General suggestions on things to do / see in Thailand, Laos, Cambodia (especially if cheap :) ) would also be welcome.

I've also suggested taking the train to Nong Khai then crossing over into Laos and staying in Vientienne for a bit, which means she can get a 2 month visa as well.

Sanuk!

PS Be prepared for lots more questions when she's actually here :)

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

She might like Luang Prabang in Laos as well. It's the old royal capital, and the commies turned the palace into a museum (after they killed off the king and queen). Cross over at Nong Khai, spend a couple of days in Wiengchan (and get a visa), then travel up to Luang Prabang and from there cross the border into northern Thailand.

Have her look at the SE Asian thorn of the Looney Planet website. There are plenty of nutters there, but she might get some ideas on where to go and stay. The backpackers have their ghetto in Chiang Mai too nowadays.

There's always the train ride down to Malaysia. A few days in Penang can be enjoyable. It's another place to get a visa. Chinese style hotels can be found at around 400 baht for a room with a/c. Cheap but aceptable hotels in Laos too.

Luang Prabang is well worth a trip, I hired a boat for the day and went upriver to the cave of a million Buddhas, too lazy to look up the real name.

I recall seeing a sign at a pavement cafe offering "egg and chips" so in my fluent Lao I insisted I wanted two eggs with my chips. In no time at all I was presented with two brimming plates of chips, both with two eggs. Lucky I wasn't bad on the tooth in those days.

I have to start reading the OP before answering threads.

KS, I'd say that 3-400 baht for a reasonable guesthouse isn't out of the question in Chiang Mai.

It sounds like she's well informed and forums like thorntree.lonelyplanet.com are full of backpacker stuff.

I'll watch for further developments, if I'm in Thailand when she's up here I might be able to help out.

The 30 day entry permit could be a problem. It can only be extended by 7 days in Thailand and she will get only 15 days additional if she does an in and out at a land border. She will be much better off to get a double entry tourist visa in her home country. That can be extended by 30 days for each entry which makes it useable for 6 months. Otherwise, she might have to go to Laos and get a double entry there.

KS - her kid sounds about the age of my young son - as we're just 105 km form the bridge to laos she'd be more than welcome visiting us and staying for a week if she'd be interested in a real village experience with kids similar ages.

Call me if you'd like to introduce her to us via email

I would tell her to get a double entry tourist visa before she comes. With that she will only have to exit the country once and will not have to worry about going to Immigration to do any visa extensions. Arriving without a visa will get a 30 day stamp on arrival but then if she exits the country overland and re-enters she will only get *15* days - and she can only do that 4 times before she hits the limit - and that would be a major pain in the ass! Double entry tourist visa applied for in her home country would be the way to go.

While her budget is doable, I think it is going to be really tight...

Archived