Cobra blood cocktails

Brink15

Has anyone had a cobra blood drink?

I always wanted to try this but never found a place that served it.

There is a street in Hat Yai where they used to sell them, maybe they still do.

From what I understand they slit open a live snake and mix a little blood with some lao kao (white liquor).

Its supposed to be Thai medicine, like the Yah Dong you sometimes see a roadside shops.

What you describe is what I have heard about it as well. My friend tried it a few years ago. He said it made him sick. I'll stick to the fried bugs.

I've heard tell that they have a similar remedy in Taiwan, albeit with a different variety of snake. The local writer S. Tsow writes about his personal experience with that in his book, "Thai Lite." Never tried it myself; think I'll pass.

Matter of fact I'm going for cobra blood and meat lunch today. Reportedly it's somewhere in north of Bangkok.

It has been explained to me that "drinking snake blood is good for eyes".

I'll report when I know more later today or tomorrow. If I still can see smile.gif

Yeah, I had this at the infamous Snake Alley in Taipei about 20 years ago. I did it on a dare and, of course, there was some $$$ included. Yes, I had been drinking before I tried this.

Basically, they took a snake (maybe a cobra?) from a cage, hung it by its tail, and slit it open. I did not get the blood though. They cut open the liver and squeezed the bile into some whiskey in a cup creating a delightful greenish concoction.

I downed it is one swallow, and all I can say is it didn't really want to stay down. I managed to keep it down.

However, my dick fell off.

Really, it was supposed to be a strong aphrodisiac, and there were plenty of red-light houses nearby in those days. However, Lord knows what I would have done after drinking that crap.

Instead, we went to the Combat Zone for some fun, but I felt ill all night.

Definitely, comes under the category of Stupid Pet Tricks. frown.gif

You can probably find fried bugs anywhere there are bargirls. I only went to Patpong in the daytime and didn't notice any stands then. Did see them at Nanaplaza, but had mine in Pattaya. They were offered to me by a girl. Probably once per vacation would be adequate.

Not sure about now adays, but a few years back, around new years, snake blood was abundant in China town and in Lumpini Park in the morning. As for fried bugs, right outside of Nep, there is a table or two that sells them. Patpong also had them. Very greasy! If you really want a treat, head up to Soi 36 (?) to Vientiane Kitchen (great restaurant!) and try the whole fried baby frogs! If you are hell bent on snake dishes, there are a few places up north (Sakon Nako) where it is very popular!

Archived