Interesting stops along the BTS?

Big Kev

I've never really used the transit system in Bangkok before, but was thinking it might be fun to take a ride or two during the day on upcoming trip.

I'll be staying on Suk, just steps from Asoke stop. Anybody have suggestions for activities, either sanuk or otherwise, that you would recommend at stops/stations along the metro route?

Not really looking for major field trips, but just good times to be had within couple of blocks of train line.

Thanks for ideas/advice.

I have to give credit to stickman's site back in 2000 for suggesting that one make sure to have a hotel name card for the taxi ride back and just get on a bus, any bus.

I got to see a whole lot of bangkok by getting on buses and going for it. Great way to spend the day and cheap by anyone's budget.

Saphan Taksin (BTS):

I actually like it down around there. I usually wonder down past Robinsons and check out the gem and semi precious dealers. Also have stopped for a feed at one of the foodcarts under the bridge. A bit further up and around the area of soi 46 is Bangrak Market, which is interesting because not too many tourists venture up there.

Lots of touts and tuk tuk drivers to pester you but walk is not too far and you get to see more. I went alone last time so suggest doing it earlier in the day when plenty of people around. I went late in the afternoon and to be honest was a bit edgy.

Archived