Thai360 book 'club'

khunsanuk

Hi,

I'm trying to sell a bunch of books and in the thread started on that mentioned www.anobii.com (allows you to keep track of your books collection online). Pom Michael suggested we could set up a Thai360 group on there to discuss books and view each others collections.

I've no problem setting it up, but would like to know if there is any interest besides PM and me :)

Sanuk!

I would be interested, but not in buying or selling books but rather in reviews or comments about books pertaining to Thailand. For example, I am currently reading "Thailand - The Politics of Despotic Paternalism", which primarily discusses Sarit Thanarat, but begins in the murky period after the end of WWII.

What is truly fascinating about this book is that you can hear and see echoes today of issues that were important when Sarit was PM of Thailand in the late 1950s and early 1960s.

There was, fo a time, an actual book club presided over by Father Tommie. We would meet in a great little Chinese restaurant and go over a book of the month. My favorite was probably "The Orientalist" a true story of a Russian Jew who became an author, a society type in New York in the 20's, and a high ranking Muslim for a time.

My the way, I just finished the Dan Brown follow up to the "Davinci Code" called "The Lost Symbol"..which had its exciting moments and some interesting ideas on the power of the human mind to control events through concentrated thinking (as in prayer groups to pray for a person's recovery...the actual religeon not being important...but the mind itself causing the momentum...God from within kind of stuff)...but in the end it was a bit of a letdown...much ado about not much kind of feel to the conflict resolutions.

Archived