HOTMAIL HACKED

dddave

For the 2nd time this month, my HOTMAIL account has been hacked and the contact list hi-jacked and used to distribute spam.

Fortunately, this is not the account I use for important correspondence. I use it mostly for when I sign up for an Internet forum or some media accounts. Though I don't use social networking sites, people have sent me messages from TAGGED and several others that have resulted on me being on their distribution lists. I have no idea if this is the source of the hack.

I've had this account for years and hate to close it out. Is there any way I can protect it in the future or is HOTMAIL hopelessly vulnerable?

I guess I should start by deleting all unnecessary contacts.

Am I correct in assuming that now that they have the list, they can continue to use it even though I delete the contacts?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Were you using a home PC, if so you must have a virus on board I'd think. A keylogger or some such lovely.

Change your password to something long and difficult, check for viruses and you should be okay.

If you use internet cafes, then I'd suggest that may be the problem.

changing passwords & reinstalling OS on laptop does NOT seem to stop those phishing/fake email spam appearing to come from ones 'personal email', while in fact it's not in the sent items...

so how do they do it? once hacked/phished an email (hotmail) account it's 'lost' for good?

Hi,

It is quite easy to show an email coming from one address while it is in fact coming from a totally different one.

Would not be surprised if when these are being sent out both To and From field email addresses are being pulled from the same database. And the email is being sent from neither.

Sanuk!

Archived