Burns Nicht

The_Munchmaster

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haggis, a Scottish staple that's been banned here, may soon reappear on American tables

BY Rosemary Black

DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Monday, January 25th 2010, 2:22 PM

Not for the fainthearted, authentic Scottish haggis is made with various parts of the sheep.

The haggis on the menu at the soldout Robert Burns dinner at St. Andrews restaurant tonight is missing a crucial ingredient: sheep’s lung. But this may be the last year haggis lovers here in the United States will have to put up with an unauthentic version of Scotland’s quintessential dish: The United States Department of Agriculture is considering lifting a 21-year import ban on haggis, reports the Daily Telegraph.

“Haggis here doesn’t taste quite the same as it does back home,†says Laura Kral, one of the owners of the W. 46th St. restaurant. “We make our haggis with ground sheep’s heart and liver, mixed with Scottish oatmeal and black pepper. But it is missing something.â€Â

For 21 years, the estimated 6 million Americans of Scottish descent have had to celebrate Burns’ night without an authentic haggis, according to The Guardian.

Each year Burns fans gather for suppers to celebrate the birth of Scottish bard Robert Burns, who was born Jan. 25, 1759. At Burns suppers like the one at St. Andrews, there will be poetry readings, kilt wearing and Scotch whisky drinking. And, of course, haggis eating.

Haggis was banned by U.S. authorities in 1989, during the mad-cow disease crisis of the 1980s and ’90s, because of the fear that the chief ingrdient, minced sheep offal, could be dangerous to eat. Now the USDA is reviewing its regulations in light of a ruling from the World Organization for Animal Health that says sheep lung is safe to consume.

American butchers have unsuccessfully attempted to make their own haggis versions, according to The Guardian. "It was a silly ban, which meant a lot of people have never tasted the real thing," said Margaret Frost, of the Scottish American Society in Ohio. "We have had to put up with the U.S. version, which is made from beef and is bloody awful."

Scottish Rural Affairs Secretary Richard Lockhead told the Telegraph: “I am greatly encouraged to hear that the U.S. authorities are planning a review of the unfair ban on haggis imports. It’s time for the U.S. authorities to deliver a Burns night boost and recognize that the Scottish haggis is outstanding quality produce.â€Â

...but who the hell is Robert Burns and why is he famous?

What! You don't know who Robert Burns is?! :yikes:

Robert Burns' date=' aka Rabbie Burns, aka Scotland's favourite son, aka the Ploughman Poet, aka the Bard of Ayrshire or simply The Bard.

The national poet of Scotland, born 25 January 1759, died 21 July 1796.

Known worldwide for his poems and songs, the best known of which is probably Auld Lang Syne, which even you've heard of OH?

[/quote']

Give a break here, I went to public school in the USA, I am still trying to figure out where Scotland is. I am fairly sure it is somewhere in Europe...

I am fairly sure it is somewhere in Europe...

no' date=' its not ! its in the UK......

:beer:

BB[/quote']

You have to remember that OH went to school a looooooooooong time ago...before the land masses broke apart and formed the different continents and islands.

HH

Archived