emailing photos/ online security

Savittre

Thanks, All! Interesting reading... I do have a laptop, and I could (and maybe should) bring it with me. I could go to a wireless hotspot in LOS. But is that any more secure?? I thought wireless transmissions are easily intercepted.

But if I'm doing anything 'important' I'll be using the https (SSL) plus 'Rapport' encryption technology from Trusteer

Or else there's the phone- I could get my own and use that.

My other option is to fly back to the West and do financial matters there, but it costs a lot of money to fly, and it's a long god damned way to go!!

Bring you own laptop.

For email switch SSL on.

If you do banking with a dedicated banking software (not via the browser), this should be secure as well.

If you want to be really secure use services like Hot Spot Shield (the basic version is free).

- Secure your web session, data, online shopping, and personal information online with HTTPS encryption.

- Protect yourself from identity theft online.

- Hide your IP address for your privacy online.

- Access all content privately without censorship; bypass firewalls.

- Protect yourself from snoopers at Wi-Fi hotspots, hotels, airports, corporate offices.

By the way: Sometimes I use Hot Spot Shield to access US sites like Hulu which exclude foreign visitors from seeing their content.

Here's something that really sucks, though, and which I never anticipated: on my recent trip I happened to check my PayPal balance from Cambodia.

Baaaad idea: PayPal flagged the login as "suspicious activity" and put a lock on my balance (which happened to be my emergency backup for my trip) until I could "verify my location in the US," something that could only be done from a US landline (it didn't recognize my Skype-in US number as a landline) or by having a code snail-mailed to my US contact address. I appreciate the security, but damn, was that ever inconvenient...

Archived