emailing photos/ online security

Savittre

Hi All!

I'll be coming to Thailand soon. I'd like to be able to email photos back to friends & family in the West. Is it possible to do this at email shops in the LOS?

I will need to take care of some financial biz while I'm in Thailand, too. A friend suggested getting a U3 USB device, or Startkey, or Ironkey (which one's best?)... but is it possible to use those for sure at email places in Thailand? And, if I cannot use them at the email shop, does anyone know what else I can do?

Thanks for reading!

Financial biz on a public PC? It is extremely likely that the public PCs in LOS contain trojans, keyloggers, whatever, due to the carelessness of the people who run the internet cafes, or even worse, they installed the keyloggers to check your data after you left.

A secure USD stick does not help at all since you need to open it up the moment you want do some business via the internet.

Even if you run all software (browser, word processor, etc.) directly from your USB stick, all input via the keyboard can be recorded without problems and its neither a problem that the keylogger takes ever few seconds a screenshot of your openend banking software.

:surprised:

Therefore: *Never ever* use a public PC for any important matters! Even for business email it might be risky.

And you will be surprised how many people don't log out of their email- and social network accounts on public PCs. Most users neither have any idea that they have to clear the browser cache at the end of their surf session - you learn a lot about a person when you open the browser history and have a look at the websites he/she visited.

:hubba:

If you have really urgent matters to do via Internet, buy a 400 USD netbook...

And if you need to do important stuff on the net, never do it via a public WLAN (airport, Starbucks, e.g.). For this you'll need a VPN service which installs a tap-proof tunnel like Hot Spot Shield

By the way: cyber criminals love airports. There is no other place were you can record so many internet sessions and online communications by high-ranking business men.

:content:

If you have really urgent matters to do via Internet, buy a 400 USD netbook...

I like this idea. You can even drop the price.

Go to Coffeeworld on corner of soi 7/1 and suk, free wireless all day with a cup of joe (or better yet Gullivers on soi 5, also unlimited free wireless, and drink a beer/gawk at the hot pool hustlers). Use gmail which now defaults to https (more secure settings) and bada bing. Do your thing.

Hi All!

I'll be coming to Thailand soon. I'd like to be able to email photos back to friends & family in the West. Is it possible to do this at email shops in the LOS?

I will need to take care of some financial biz while I'm in Thailand, too. A friend suggested getting a U3 USB device, or Seytartk, or Ironkey (which one's best?)... but is it possible to use those for sure at email places in Thailand? And, if I cannot use them at the email shop, does anyone know what else I can do?

Thanks for reading!

Most Internet cafes will have the capacity to email pics and staff are usually helpful if you ask. Make sure you have your mini USB with you as they may not have the right one for your camera.

I always do banking from cafes in LOS...never a problem. I always delete my history before I log off though.

Archived