Lost 12 Kg and still going

Coss

Exercise does not make you loose weight, it just makes you toned and healthier.

That's just wrong. Weight is a function of how much energy you take in (food and such) and how much energy you expend.

During the Tour de France, I read that cyclist take in about 6000 calories a day. If a sedentary person did that, they would get fat.

I've lost quite a bit of weight since I started exercising about a year ago, and exercising is just about the only thing that has changed.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Exercise does not make you loose weight' date=' it just makes you toned and healthier.[/quote']

That's just wrong. Weight is a function of how much energy you take in (food and such) and how much energy you expend.

During the Tour de France, I read that cyclist take in about 6000 calories a day. If a sedentary person did that, they would get fat.

I've lost quite a bit of weight since I started exercising about a year ago, and exercising is just about the only thing that has changed.

No, it is not wrong and you have missed the point, we are not talking about weight gain but weight loss.

You may be surprised about what little things have changed if you have a good exercise regime. If your stomach is tightened, due to exercise, you actually do eat less because your stomach muscles have become tighter and you feel full much earlier than you did before.

If your goal is to loose weight then exercise does very little, there was a recent medical paper on this fact, and if I get my hands on it I will provide a link.

Sure, if you're sedentary and have high calorific intake you will put on weight, that's a gimme.

Sure, exercise is good and beneficial.

Also, I am not talking about starving oneself. You can actually eat alot more once your body is at an optimal level, just like the athletes are so. Think of it like an engine, if you have bad oil then the system slows or even breaks, if it is at its optimum, then it purrs and runs a whole lot better :beer:

It's simple, overweight people can lose weight by either restricting caloric intake or exercising more. I believe the latter is better--when you diet you start thinking about food too much and then when you go off the diet, there's a good chance you'll gain the weight back.

Exercise does not make you loose weight....

This is not correct.

It's simple, overweight people can lose weight by either restricting caloric intake or exercising more. I believe the latter is better--when you diet you start thinking about food too much and then when you go off the diet, there's a good chance you'll gain the weight back.

This is very true.

Alright - not trying to be contrary for the sake of being... contrary.

But there have been a few articles circulating on people's misperception of the link between exercise and weight loss.

I think Oz is trying to emhpasize that if you're looking to lose weight, diet is pretty darn important, and even rigorous exercise may not mitigate a lousy diet as much as people think.

(Note - for me personally, I can run six miles a day for an extended period and my weight hovers at 190. As soon as I cut shit (fries, big burgers, heavy pasta), eat a lot of apples (apples work for me) and curb eating at night-time, I can drop down to 170s quick. Without running. (Only problem is I get bored).

I don't know if this is the piece he was referencing --

Link

:

Though better nutrition coupled with exercise has long been the favored prescription for losing weight and avoiding obesity, a new study suggests diet actually plays the key role.

Researchers from Loyola University Health System and other centers compared African American women in metropolitan Chicago with women in rural Nigeria. On average, the Chicago women weighed 184 pounds and the Nigerian women weighed 127 pounds.

Researchers had expected to find that the slimmer Nigerian women would be more physically active. To their surprise, they found no significant difference between the two groups in the amount of calories burned during physical activity.

"Decreased physical activity may not be the primary driver of the obesity epidemic," said Loyola nutritionist Amy Luke, a member of the study team.

Burn more, eat more

U.S. government guidelines state that each week, adults need at least 2 ½ hours of moderate aerobic activity (such as brisk walking) or 75 minutes of vigorous activity (such as jogging). Adults also should do muscle-strengthening activities, such as weight-lifting or sit-ups, at least twice a week.

The benefits to overall health are clear. Exercise has even been shown to improve kids' academic performance.

People burn more calories when they exercise. Thing is, they compensate by eating more, said Richard Cooper, co-author of the study and chairman of the Department of Preventive Medicine and Epidemiology.

"We would love to say that physical activity has a positive effect on weight control, but that does not appear to be the case," Cooper said.

Diet differences

Diet is a more likely explanation than physical activity expenditure for why Chicago women weigh more than Nigerian women, Luke said. She noted the Nigerian diet is high in fiber and carbohydrates and low in fat and animal protein. By contrast, the Chicago diet is 40 percent to 45 percent fat and high in processed foods.

Perhaps, but to say "exercise does not make you loose weight is not only misleading but fool hardy and over reaching.

It is a simple fact that:

If exercise stays the same and caloric intake is reduced, weight will be lost over time.

and

If caloric intake remains the same and exercise in increased, weight will be lost over time.

Perhaps, but to say "exercise does not make you loose weight is not only misleading but fool hardy and over reaching.

If exercise stays the same and caloric intake is reduced, weight will be lost over time.

and

If caloric intake remains the same and exercise in increased, weight will be lost over time.

Big C if you are going to quote me, please don't take it out of context, my words were "Exercise does not make you loose weight, it just makes you toned and healthier. The only thing that makes you loose weight, in a healthy way is to eat good food and combine it right".

Yes exercise will take off weight in the short term, and there is no doubt that it is very beneficial for you (which I have also stated) however, most people don't have the time, let alone the inclination, to keep up a regimented exercise routine. Also, the more you do does not equally increase the amount of weight loss, i.e., walking 10km rather than 5km does not equate to double the weight loss.

I repeat, the principles in regard to weight gain and weight loss are not the same. Sure, if you stuff Mars bars down your mouth and sit on a sofa all day you will gain weight, and considerably so.

What may surprise you, an it may be very subtle that you don't realise it, is that when someone takes up an exercise routine they actually do tend to change their diet and eating lifestyle. Even these very small changes are beneficial to weight loss.

The application of proper eating has been lost on western cultures. Most of us here travel to LOS and I am sure at one time we have all stated to yourselves, why are they so skinny and how can they eat so much and stay thin. Well, it mostly has to do with diet, eating good foods and eating them the right way --- they are not all running around the block for 5-10kms, but yes, they are not sedentary and keep moving (as i have stated, you need to exercise for health benefits however, you don't have to go overboard about it if you don't want to).

Their diets usually consists of high-water content food (fruits & vegetables) and they still adhere to the principles of proper food combinations.

You still may scoff at what I say but that is fine :beer:

Perhaps' date=' but to say "exercise does not make you loose weight is not only misleading but fool hardy and over reaching.

and

If caloric intake remains the same and exercise in increased, weight will be lost over time.[/quote']

Big C if you are going to quote me, please don't take it out of context, my words were "Exercise does not make you loose weight, it just makes you toned and healthier. The only thing that makes you loose weight, in a healthy way is to eat good food and combine it right".

Sorry, I was quoting you from Expats quoting you where the secound part is not included. However, I do also disagree with the 2nd part.

(And I have over 20 years professional physical fitness training.)

That is fine, and we shall agree to disagree :beer:

After all, it is simple chemistry, take chicken and rice, the digestive juices to break down one is acidic, the other is alkaline, what happens, they neutralize each other ... eventually most of this food putrefies (the protein) and ferments (the carbohydrate) ... most of this food is then wasted, and not used and passes from the stomach for peristaltic action in the intestines ... it also generates toxic acids in the body and very little nutrients.

So, as a fitness trainer you should know what function of the human body demands more energy than any other function? The digestion of food! The digestion of food takes more energy than running, swimming, or bike riding. Look it up, name me one physical activity there is that takes more energy than the digestion of food.

Energy is crucial for the all-important detoxification (elimination of toxic waste) of the body. It takes energy to eliminate. The way we assist the body is to supply it with readily available energy on a steady basis. This is the answer to being healthy and trim. Your body does not get energy from exercise, thus exercise in relation to weight loss is not essential - it has its own reasons for health and vitality.

The cornerstone of weight loss is detoxification, and detoxification is entirely dependent upon energy. What is the best way the body gets energy, good foods and properly combined. That is why, when you eat that way, you feel full of energy and can eat much more.

However, if we sit down in a bar one day an have an hour or so to kill, i will discuss it with you in far greater detail, who knows, maybe you might agree :beer:

Archived