US State Dept to start charging for additional pages

ThaiHome

Appears that very soon that in addition to raising the fee for a new passport from the current $100 to $135, they are going to start charging $82 to put in new pages.

TH

State Department defends proposed 35% hike in passport fees

Link

A top State Department official Friday defended plans to raise passport-application fees by $35, to $135 per adult  a move that one New York congressman called “mind-boggling†and another called “immoral.†The increase, along with a new fee of $82 to add visa pages to passport books, could take effect within weeks after the required public-comment period on the proposal ends March 11.

Hopefully, the $217 would be spaced out a bit, unless you travel a lot.

I pretty much average a new set of pages every 2 years or so.

I should be able to expense this if I don't get down there this week. I guess you now have to make an appointment to get it done.

TH

I paid something like $65usd a few years back for expedited service for the addition of more pages. It was supposed to take "3 days turn around time" In fact it took 3+ weeks. They did not refund my fee, but they did make 2 additions instead of one. The fucked up thing is, it is up to someones discretion as to how many additions you can get. So say you had to have 2 additions at $82 ea=$164+$135 for the original passport...so $217+ any additional page additions...this is just getting expensive...on the other hand, it is good for what 10 years?

New pages were free and done right then, took 15 to 30 minutes. Original passport pages are numbered 1-24. With additional pages you get 24 more marked A-X and you can do that 3 times.

Not sure what you paid $65 for, but is was not additional pages. Sounds more like you got a new passport with 48 pages, which is no longer available.

TH

Archived