Why ad blocking is bad for the internet.

temfarang

I found these 2 articles interesting about how the www. works in the 21st century

you either care about a site's well-being, or you don't.

visitors don't pay sites directly but indirectly by viewing advertising.

to view the ads costs nothing to the web surfer but results in revenue for the site.

http://arstechnica.com/business/news/2010/03/why-ad-blocking-is-devastating-to-the-sites-you-love.ars

..unwillingness on the part of some folks to put themselves in the shoes of the site operator and to consider fully his dilemma.

http://techreport.com/discussions.x/18600

clicking an ad costs the forum user nothing yet provides income for the site management & band width..

Yes, but I can remember a time when the price of a thing I would buy was not inflated so that legions of marketing tossers could make a very good living out of shoving their "advertisements" in my face.

:)

Hi,

"legions of marketing tossers"

Sounds like we have the same idea of the 'value' of marketing and those professing to be experts in it :)

My experience so far has been "all talk, NO action". There was always something someone else absolutely had to do before they could so something; or excuses as to why they hadn't done something.

Agree with the premise of the article though. Too many people seem to assume that running a website doesn't cost anything, which of course is quite far from the truth - even if you discount time spent.

Sanuk!

Interesting, it never occurred to me that ad-blocking would result in decreased revenue to a site owner.

Edit: I just 'whitelisted' Thai360 (allows ads) by right-clicking on the adblockplus icon in the upper right of Firefox, and choosing 'disable on Thai360.'

I just 'whitelisted' Thai360 (allows ads) by right-clicking on the adblockplus icon in the upper right of Firefox, and choosing 'disable on Thai360.'

Just did the same and noticed the 'affiliate' banner (for Amazon) appears on the left, whereas it didn't before. Don't think it makes any difference to KS, though, unless we click it but, then again, you can't click it if it ain't there.

clicking an ad often is helpful to the reader / poster .. & ALWAYS costs the ad viewer nothing (until a credit card is provided.)

in my experience, clicking on google ads provides more income to the host than an Amazon sale under Thb 500 - 1k Thb

KS has provided a means to acquire accurate info to more farang tourists than there are bare toes on Sukhumvet.

KS has provided a forum that probably helped more farangs (expat & tourist) than any other person on this planet!

KS has been hosting forums since the mamasan was a dancer.

[color:red]a "free click" to help such a person seems reasonable.[/color]

KS politely deals with dopey AHs on a regular basis

KS has dealt with (a current, why why why?) forum member hacking into the personal info of other forum members.

How much trouble was that? & yet he allowed that kethoy to be an active forum resident again..

I personally click a google ad for KS on a regular basis.

Me thinks it is necessary to click on a link on the ad page to secure Thb for the man!

the only fee he has ever requested (to my knowledge) is if you want to enter the private club house.

I don't want to belong to any club that will accept me as a member.~ Groucho Marx

[color:red]>>>>>>>>>[/color] more Graucho[color:red]>>>>>[/color]

Here's to our wives and girlfriends...may they never meet! ~ Groucho Marx

Someone: "I would like to say goodbye to your wife". Groucho: "Me too".

Anyone who says he can see through women is missing a lot.~ Groucho Marx

KS will offer a nanapalooza fest :_party: for forum members w/ free BFs

Cool. I've been meaning to check out the Renoir Club on soi 33.

'the hi-fi soothes in the background, the candlelight is just right, and the wine... is delicious'

THANKS KS!

:happyeaster:

Archived