What has Thaksin really done for the poor?

Flashermac

:topic:

I was just reading a bit of diplomatic fluff, when I saw this factoid that only Flasher would be old enough to remember:

[color:blue]Thailand is the oldest Asian ally of the United States.

The kingdom offered elephants to President Abraham Lincoln as he waged the 1861-1865 Civil War.[/color]

So I asked the (non-Thai) wife what the elephants were for and she said, "to fight, of course." :doah: I do wonder how they could have been employed effectively though.

Link

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Typical bullshit that has been repeated endlessly. I've written it up, but no one has ever printed what happened. :(

In reality, my buddy King Mongkut wrote to President JAMES BUCHANAN, suggesting that elephants would be a good method of transportation in the United States. He offered to provide the elephants for free and gave some advice on how to raise them.

By the time the letter arrived in Washington, old Abe was in the White House and had his hands full with some other problems. Lincoln replied very politely to Rama IV, pointing out that elephants weren't very suitable for the US climate and that steam locomotives worked there much better. He sent some gifts to Mongkut and wished him well.

That was the extent of Rama IV "meddling" in US politics. Of course, the made up story is much more dramatic than the truth. Fake stories usually are. :dunno:

p.s. You can find the letters in King Mongkut's compiled correspondence. I think the Lincoln nonsense began with the Hollywood Anna movies, either that or Margaret Langdon's ridiculous "biography" of Anna that inspired the films.

Link isn't opening...

Opens for me. :hmmm:

And it really pisses me off when folks say Thaksin is the greatest PM' date=' when compared to Pridi Banomyong he is a douchebag. :(

[/quote']

with this i have to agree.

:happyeaster:

He is asking on this forum, no reason why he cannot. If it was not for posters the board would die.

Sometimes, i see some posts, say like "is ass fucking gay" and think, what the fuck, does this guy have his own personal insecurities or is he just taking the piss. However, if one takes a deep breath and looks at it from the posters mind set, maybe the question does make sense.

Maybe the ASSMAN does have insecurity issues, or wants to experiment; maybe this poster does not speak Thai, is not in Thailand, does not know enough Thais to gauge a local opinion and this forum is his only readable source.

Live and let live :beer:

Archived